Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

While pulling weeds in my yard, I inadvertently rubbed my left

While pulling weeds in my yard, I inadvertently rubbed my left eye. That was about 6 hrs ago. I have repeatedly washed my eye with water and tried using Refresh eye drops & Tears Again liquid gel eye drops. It is after midnight and I cannot go to sleep as the burning intensifies if I try to close my eye - it is tolerable as long as I keep it open and splash it with cold water. Is there anything in the house I can use as a neutralizer?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry to know about your problem which is keeping you awake so late in the night. It is likely that there could have been micro abrasions of the cornea due to the rubbing which is causing he severe burning sensation. You have done the right thing by putting refresh tears eye drops and liquid gel. If burning persists then lubricating eye ointment can be put and the eye can be patched overnight. The corneal epithelium heals very well wih this treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I hope you feel better in the morning . However in case the symptoms persist or worsen, then do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If symptoms reduce in the morning then continue with the lubricating eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 4 to 5 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist