Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My father has had successful surgery for a detached retina

Customer Question

My father has had successful surgery for a detached retina in May .. i sjust beginning to get this sight back ... My question is this, If one eye has developed a detached retina (no diabetes involved), ... what is the per centage that the other eye could also develop a detached retina?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Is he significantly nearsighted? Has he had any trauma to that I? Any other I problems before this like cataract surgery?
Customer:

No, he has not had any trauma to his eye. He is nearsighted.... No cataract surgery.

Doctor DanB : Do you know how near sighted? Do you know high high the number is XXXXX his glasses prescription? If not , are his glasses thick?
Customer:

I don't know ... but, his glasses are not really thick ....

Customer:

One more concern,,, he is 68 years old. Will this affect his driving ability, especially his peripheral vision.... Should he drive at night??

Doctor DanB : Okay. Thanks. Over the next five years he has a risk of retinal detachment in the other eye of about 10-25%.
Customer:

One more concern ... he is 68 years old, the repaired eye is still blurry, will this affect his driving ability, especially his peripheral vision? should he drive at night/

Doctor DanB : If he still has poor vision in the eye that had the retinal detachment, then yes this will affect his driving and his night driving. This is just because he has reduced vision in one eye and therefore does not have the full range of peripheral vision and does not have stereoscopic vision as he normally does.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Customer:

Yes, .... Finally, what about the eye that has been repaired... What are the odds that the repaired eye might experience another detachment. He has very strict orders from his current doctor in terms of activity .. very limited... Is this normal for recovery?

Doctor DanB : Yes this very limited activity is quite normal. I can't give you a strict percentage on what the likelihood is of another retinal detachment in this eye, but the odds are certainly significant and warrant the adherence to the strict postoperative activity.
Customer:

From what I understand, the retina has not completely healed yet, ... the surgery was in Mid- May .... and they are being extremely cautious with his activity because of the lack of healing. How long does it normally take for the retina to heal after a surgery like this/

Doctor DanB : The time necessary for each each patient's retina to heal fully is very different for every person. Depending on the amount of the retina that was detached, for how long it was detached, and the way it has healed since then, it can take a few weeks to several months for the resident to fully heal.
Customer:

Does his advanced age affect his ability to heal the eye?

Doctor DanB : No. Not really. He's not that advanced in age :)
Customer:

That's good news... Thank you for all your clear explanations. I will close now, and rate you very highly ... barbara

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology