Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My eyes itch and burn. There is also a thin white discharge

My eyes itch and burn. There is also a thin white discharge in the outer corners of eyes. I got a prescription for antibiotic drops, but I'm concern that this infection may be caused by yeast. Can yeast in the eyes cause these symptoms? How can you be certain whether it is yeast or bacterial?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Have you had a cold or stomach flu recently? Been around anyone with a red eye?

Doctor DanB : Do you have seasonal allergies? Itchy, runny nose? Sneezing?

Doctor DanB : Is the discharge ropy or stringy?

Doctor DanB : Yeast really does not cause a conjunctivitis so I don't have any significant worry about that. I think this is likely what is called allergic conjunctivitis and there are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of its symptoms. First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.Your symptoms should start to respond to this quickly.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : If not... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

This was very helpful. Thank you.