Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello Dr James 5 years ago i had a tear duct infection and

Customer Question

Hello Dr James
5 years ago i had a tear duct infection and took antibiotics for it. I thought it cleared up, but apparently as years go by my left bottom eyelid seems to be puffy. Is there anything I can do about it now?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Is it possible to take a picture of your eyelid and upload it for my review?

Here is a good way to share a picture:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the picture. That helps a lot.

You have a chalazion.

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Rick,

I cannot feel as if anything is in there, and it isnt a bump as in an odd shape.. but it actually is along the shape of my eyelid. Ive seen pictures of chalazion and the shapes are odd. Could it be something else?

I used to go swimming often and wear tight swimming goggles.

Another thing that concerns me is. closer to the inner part of my eyelid, I do not have hair follicles. It stops at the middle of my eyelid.

Thanks in advance.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Well, as you probably know, loss of lashes can be sign of eyelid cancer.

You are, however, a bit young for that....

I do not believe that your swimming goggles have anything to do with this.

That being said chalzions come in all sizes and shapes....

The only way to be 100% sure what is going on would be to visit your ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long should I be doing this baby shampoo treatment?

It has been 3 days and I do not see any improvement yet.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Patience, Grasshopper.....

It can take up to a month to really kick in.

Hope you got a good size bottle of baby shampoo ;)

Keep up the good work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the warm compress really necessary Dr?

It seems to be drying my eye.

The first time I did the warm compress it was

Really hot, but I only did it for a minute. That should be ok right?

I wont be doing that hot again.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
No. You can skip the warm compresses, especially if you take a long shower and let the water run on your face/closed eyes a bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wear contacts, does this matter?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Not really, but I would take them out when doing the lid scrubs just to make sure that they don't get lost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr. Rick,

After 3 and a half weeks, almost 4 weeks I can see that the swelling seems to have reduced to about half in size. Clearly it is still there. Should I be worried, or shall I just continue? I have been running warm water on my eyelid and rubbing baby shampoo twice daily, for about 15min. at a time.

Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That is very good that the swelling is down that much. Keep up the good work.

When I had one it took almost a year until the bump went away 100%,although for a long time it was just a hard speck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok great. Hopefully it will go away soon!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I hope so too! But, any event, I think you have successfully dodged the surgery bullet. :)