Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hello?

hello?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

What can I help you with today?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

I have had slightly sore, red eye through the day, and a sore throat but no white spots,and my eyes are stuckshut when I wake up. this has been for two weeks.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Good Morning, Neil,

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Hi.
Dr. Rick : What can I help you with today?

Do you have a question?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had slightly sore, red eye through the day, and a sore throat but no white spots,and my eyes are stuck shut when I wake up. this has been for two weeks.

Do you wear contact lenses? If you, have you slept in them?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No contact lenses. The sore throat was/is just at the top, and was severely swollen. The eye thing is mostly noticeable in the morning, but they feel a little dry and sore all the time. I typically recover quickly from sickness and this is wierd, 2 weeks is a long time.

Neil,

Did both eyes start acting up at once or did it start in one eye and then go to the other eye a day or two later?

Do you have any itching?

Does your vision seem to be affected?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One eye first, some very minor itching and in the morning my vision is "cloudy" for a while...

Neil,

Ok. I know what is going on.....

You have pink eye (viral conjunctivitis). This is commonly associated with a viral sore throat like you recently had.

It will not damage you eyes in anyway but it is very uncomfortable (bet you already knew that, eh? ;)

As this is a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in two weeks or so.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS