Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

My eye lid started to hurt and then later swelled up a bit

My eye lid started to hurt and then later swelled up a bit in the evening. This morning it still hurts and there appears to be some raised skin marks on the lid swelling.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you had a stye before? Does it appear like a stye? From the given description, a painful lid swelling is most likely to be an external or internal stye.

Customer:

I have but not in a long while. I thought of going to the pharmacy for stye over the counter meds but going on line and seeing this website ... I thought I would ask for assistance first because it has been a long while.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A stye would usually subside with warm compresses applied for 10 minutes duration , thrice a day.

Customer:

Is there any holistic type of remedies I can try?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can take Tab.Acetaminophen 650 mg, twice a day for 3 days to reduce the pain and swelling.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It does not require anything more than this. Very rarely it persists and turns into a larger swelling and would then require oral antibiotics or draining.

Customer:

Excuse my ignorance but what is acetaminophen. Is this an aspirin?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest that you continue with the warm compresses and acetaminophen ( it is NOT aspirin but tylenol).

Customer:

great ... I have that. When should I notice the swelling going down? I'm going on vacation on Friday.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Surely by friday the swelling would have gone down....it normally takes two to three days to show improvement.

Customer:

Will there be any pus like pustules forming around my lash area?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in case of an external stye, there can be visible pus pointing at the eyelash margin before it opens up. But an internal stye drains from inside and there would not be any visible pus pointing.

Customer:

So I may have gummy residue from my eye ... yes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, when it eventually opens up the whitish secretions come out.

Customer:

This was high on my list because of the upcoming vacation but i didn't want to be taking over the counter items I didn't need and wouldn't necessarily help me. Do you have any further suggestions? I believe I will be OK now.

Customer:

Oh ... how warm temperature for the conpresses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sure you will begin to feel better by friday and that your vacation would not be dampened by this issue. The warmth should be sufficient enough not to scald or burn the skin.

Customer:

The raised skin on my eyelid ... does this mean anything?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

is it like an elevated localised lump?

Customer:

It appears more like squeezed skin layers but it does hurt to the touch.

Customer:

I mean doesn't hurt to the touch.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since it is beginning to form just today, it might appear more like a smooth elevated swelling later. But with immediate start of treatment it may not progress any further.

Customer:

OK ... I thank you for your assistance. I will begin your suggested treatments as noted.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. I hope your symptoms subside soon and that you have a great vacation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince