Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello, My friend has high blood pressure and went to doctor

Customer Question

Hello, My friend has high blood pressure and went to doctor to check her eyes. She speaks spanish , so what i think she said was she had laser for the pressure in the eye and that when she went back to check her eyes, he said her eyes were not good for a new lens yet. I don't understand what she meant , but I do know that she didn't have laser and it's not contact lens she is talking about. Some new laser to relieve pressure I think and a new lens place in her eye. Can you help me guess what she means? Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 11 months ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds like your friend had cataract surgery.
Doctor DanB : It is a very common misconception that cataract surgery is done with laser (the vast majority are not done by laser). Yet, it is during cataract surgery that a new lens is placed in the eye. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

She said no to cataract when I asked her. It is to relieve pressure and put new lens. She didn't have to wear glasses like they do with cataract

Customer:

This seems to be about pressure from high blood pressure which she seems to say made pressure in the eye

Doctor DanB : There isn't a procedure where a new lens is placed in the eye combined with a laser to relieve pressure. A laser procedure can be done to relieve pressure in the eye and a lens is put on the eye temporarily to do this procedure but is not permanently left on the eye.
Doctor DanB : For the most part high blood pressure doesn't cause high eye pressure. Was her vision damaged from the high blood pressure?
Customer:

I think she went in for twitching in the eye and then he relieved the pressure and said to rest it for 5 days and come back for new lens. Sorry I just couldn't understand her

Customer:

Today he said her eye wasn't good and she could not get new lens

Customer:

to come back in 10 days

Doctor DanB : But you feel as though she was told about a lens IN her eye and not just a new glasses lens?
Customer:

yes and when I called her she told me the doctor couldn't put them in her eyes. Do people get new lens?

Customer:

can you walk around with no lens in your eye?

Doctor DanB : Pretty much only with cataract surgery. It's possible she could be referring to a corneal transplant, but that is even more major surgery than cataract surgery.
Customer:

ok well thanks.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology