Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I experienced a migraine with aura no headache a week ago.

I experienced a migraine with aura no headache a week ago. I had a dilated eye exam which checked out fine. Since then I feel like in the morning my eyes seem sensitive to light and I have after images that kinda bounce around. I have had the snow vision when I look on the computer screen or the sky and don't really understand why but Ive had that for as long as I can remember. I am on the computer a lot and I don't know if the strange could be making my eyes so sensitive to light. the after images at dawn that bounce around worry me. This is different from a migraine since it is consistant Any idea what would cause this ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do the after images kind of float in your visual field?

Customer:

they kind of jump around

Customer:

dawn and dusk is when I notice it the most

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When you look at the sky, do you find transparent tiny worm like movement ?

Customer:

not floaters you mean but tiny lights?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is very likely that the after images which bounce around are likely to be due to PVD- posterior vitreous detachment.

Customer:

would they have seen that in the eye exam though

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it is not visualised during an eye exam.

Customer:

I actually think years ago someone mentioned I had that but maybe im mistaken

Dr. A.S. Desai :

PVD is a very common condition and affects majority of people as they grow older.

Customer:

even with dilating

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, even with dilated eye exam, it is not possible to "see" a PVD.

Customer:

oh haha another one of the nice things that come along with aging

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a small note on PVD-

Customer:

oh so how do you test for it

Customer:

do I to have it re attached

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In PVD the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You have already had a dilated eye exam, so there is no need to be concerned about this.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is no need to get it re-attached.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The movement seen against the sky is a normal physiological phenomenon called as entoptic phenomenon.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes I think so. When I had a migraine with aura last week I had not had one in 7 years but I have had a hand full since I was a teenager so I wonder why im noticing this and a light sensitivity now or is it possible the migraine just has me more aware of my vision. I must note I was on the computer when the aura started but I felt a sting in my left eye when it started so that puzzles me

Customer:

the aura only last 15 minutes it just this new after image that im more aware of

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry about the delay... Had to get up.... I am back..

Customer:

it ok thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The after image is unlikely to be due to the migraine. It is likely to be due to PVD .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The good part is that you have had a dilated eye exam after the new symptoms started and the exam was normal.

Customer:

ok well thank you so much I guess Ill have to live with it Do you have any suggestions to on how to ignore it

Customer:

sunglasses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, when outdoors you can wear sunglasses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It will cut down the light sensitivity.

Customer:

ok thank you Ill try not to worry as much... the after images jumping around or flashing is all from this pvd

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

ok now one more question it say 20 dollars on the left of my screen do I pay that or is it charged to my pay pal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once you give a positive rating( ok service/good service/excellent service) you will be charged for 20 $ through whichever mode you have chosen( credit card or paypal).

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just go back from a movie and Im really worried about how bright the screen felt and I had so may after images...its so frustrating. could being on the computer add to my light sensitivity? also the visual snow Im guessing I have had all my life but don't understand why I see it do you have any guesses?

Hi Janelle,

Most of your symptoms are due to vitreous disturbances. The visual emow could be due to the entoptic phenomenon or muscae volitantes. You can try wearing anti glare glasses.

Best wishes and regards
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist