Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

May have 5th cranial nerve neuritis but No Pain just annoying

Customer Question

May have 5th cranial nerve neuritis but No Pain just annoying eye and facial twitch?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : How may I help you? What specific question do you have regarding your post?
Customer:

Is there a a treatment for this eye and facial twitch that is constant but no pain?

Dr. Tom : May I ask a couple of questions to clarify what your symptoms are?
Customer:

Yes

Dr. Tom : Thank you. For how long have you noticed the twitching?
Customer:

3 weeks

Dr. Tom : Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX ever had it before and is it limited to one eye only?
Customer:

Yes last year only in the eye and went away around the same time left eye

Dr. Tom : Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX more question, do you have any neurologic or any other systemic diseases?
Customer:

None know

Dr. Tom : Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just a minute to type out a response and then we can continue hour live chat. Okay?
Customer:

Ok

Dr. Tom : Your presentation of symptoms does not sound like trigeminal neuralgia. It sounds much more like a condition referred to as myokymia. Which is an in voluntary fine muscle contraction in the eyelids and sometimes in the tissues around the eyes as well. It is not a serious condition, and usually resolves without any treatment whatsoever. Frequently it is associated with external factors such as excessive caffeine, fatigue, stress and sometimes alcohol. Does this help with your concerns, and may I answer anything else for you?
Customer:

I understand but now on medication should I be on and how do I remedy the situation it's embarrassing my eye and facial what do you recomend

Dr. Tom : Give me a second to respond. I typed a response but somehow it got deleted.
Customer:

Ok

Dr. Tom : There is no specific medicine indicated. Frequently we will advise the use of cold compresses and ocular lubricants to reduce any irritation. Occasionally an eye specialist will use Botox injections But these are generally used for more advanced cases, called blepharospasm. Does this make sense? Can I answer anything else?
Customer:

So no pain is the key of this hopefully not a serious concern ?

Dr. Tom : There is one more thing that I would like to do for you if you would like me to. I will look up some good references on myokymia and send them to you in an email after we finish.
Dr. Tom : Sorry, I typed over you. No, myokymia is not serious and will generally go away all by itself.
Customer:

Ok just making sure it is no tumor to worry about?

Dr. Tom : No, there is no indication that it represents the tumor. Would you like me to send you some Links to a more thorough discussion of myokymia?
Customer:

ok sounds good thanks for ur help greatly appreciated!

Dr. Tom : You're welcome. Okay, will sign off now for you to rate my help to you tonight and as soon as that is done I will be able to send you an email with some references. Thank you very much.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the good rating. An email link will follow.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 11 months ago.
and