Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

As I was taking my contact out last night, it felt as though

As I was taking my contact out last night, it felt as though I'd ripped off a layer of eyeball. My contact was stuck to my eyeball, and I didn't know it - so when I took it off there was sudden pain. It's been hours and I still can't open this eye. There is an intense burning feeling, and it's watering quite a bit. I've done several eye washes. The contact itself appeared to be intact, but it feels like there is something stuck under my eyelid that is causing the pain. I pried my eye open long enough to see a small bump near the bottom of my eye, and what looked like a translucent, loose covering over my eye. What can I do to stop the pain and be able to open my eyes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer: Yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you removed the contact lens ?

Customer: Yes, I removed it last night. When I took it off, and immediately felt the ripping sensation, I checked the contact. It appears intact.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is a possibility of the superficial layer of cornea being abraded or even ripped off.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But such abrasions heal very well with overnight eye patch with lubricating eye drops/ointment.

Customer: Can I find the ointment over the counter? Do I need to continue with the eye patch and ointment for more than one night?
Customer: Is this a situation where I need to go to the ER to have it examined?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

The chat is getting repeated. Yes, it is available OTC as lacrilube eye ointment. Usually the patch is removed the next morning. Lubricating eye drops can be coninued he next day onwards, n1 drop 4 times a day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can wait till next morning and if symptoms continue or worsen, then get the ye examined by an ophthalmologist.

Customer: Thank you
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can take an analgesic to reduce the pain.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist