Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Visual disturbances

What is the significance of a very light fog in the visual field for both eyes - especially in peripheral vision; small flecks of light occasionally; photosensitivity (for example, when looking at my cell phone screen; and transient blurred vision

In February I gave birth to a healthy baby boy (3rd child).  I have had some migraine symptoms in years past.  I am in excellent condition as far a fitness goes.  I experience significant tiredness at timmes - body and eyes.

Also, the symptoms started in the one eye and then occurred in both.  The right eye symptoms seem a little stronger than the left.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer:

OK I'm here

Dr. Tom :

Great, give me a minute to type a reply and then we can chat, OK?

Customer:

OK

Dr. Tom :

The symptoms described fit well with the variable ways that migraine can present. The fog, flashes and photosensitivity are very common in migraine. Many people have migraine with out headache, and that may confuse the diagnosis. And the symptoms can seem to start or be more localized to one side or the other. Also these symptoms can be present as a result of stress in some patients, but generally they are patients who know themselves to be prone to anxiety or panic attacks. In someone with a history of migraine in the past, the highest probability is that the symptoms you describe are migraine relate. Does that make sense?

Dr. Tom :

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

It does make sense - but as far as I know myself, I don't tend to be anxious, and I am open in expressing feels with husband and family. My concern was that it could be related to injury to the retinas, glaucoma or some other more serious condition. I would say that my schedule has had me stretched for some months. So, the probability (not certainty) is that it is not a serious eye problem?

Dr. Tom :

Yes you are correct. Those symptoms are not likely retinal or glaucoma. Of course you periodically need a complete eye exam to insure that eye diseases as you mentioned don't creep in, but your symptoms are much more migraine like. May I answer anything else?

Customer:

You have answered my question. Thank you! I appreciate your response. This is a great service you provide. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

Dr. Tom :

Thank you .

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.