Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have come in contact with poison ivy around the eye. The

I have come in contact with poison ivy around the eye. The eye is fine, but there is swelling all around it. What should I do?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is very likely that you have developed angioneurotic edema.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case you experience any breathing difficulties or constriction in the chest then do go the ER immediately. If there are no symptoms of difficulty in breathing then it is likely to resolve naturally with symptomatic treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can take Tablet . Zyrtec, 10 mg, one tablet at bedtime for 5 to 6 days. You can apply cool compresses to the swollen area.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Is there a risk of this spreading to the eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it may not enter the eye but can cause swelling of the eyelids.

Customer:

There is swelling of the eyelids and swelling beneath the eye as if the tear ducts are swollen. Is this okay?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If at all you experience any eye allergy symptoms in the form of itching or irritation, then you can put lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The swelling of the eyelids will reduce with anti allergy tablets (zyrtec).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

I have type 2 diabetes. Do I have to worry about drug interactions? I take metformin and atorvastatin.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, there is no risk of drug interaction with zyrtec, it can be taken for 5 to 6 days.

Customer:

The swelling started yesterday. Should I expect the swelling to continue to get worse or has it peaked by now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess it has reached its peak on day 2. However there have been instances of worsening for 3 days before it begins to subside over the next 4-5 days.

Customer:

Would a warm compress alternating with cold be helpful ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, cool compresses alone should be fine.

Customer:

Thank you . Good bye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Warm compresses help in case of painful inflammatory swelling and not in allergi swelling.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You re most welcome.