Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I am a 60 year male and for the past two weeks I have been

I am a 60 year male and for the past two weeks I have been seeing what looks like a lighting bolt in my peripheral vision when I turn my head left or right,more prominent when it's dark,eyes closed or open.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom : Hello, and thank you for your question. The most likely cause for the flashing light is a change in the vitreous of your eye resulting and what is commonly referred to as a posterior vitreous detachment. Has there been any change in your vision or do you see any floaters in your vision?

Dr. Tom : Great, well the good news is that in the vast majority of cases this is just an aging change, however it is prudent that you be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. Okay generally, the PVD is associated with retinal tear which can lead to a retinal detachment. If a small tear is found, it can be lasered closed quickly and painlessly in your doctors office. Is there anything else I can answer for you regarding this?

No,unless you could suggest an ophthalmologist in the Newmarket Ontario Canada area.

Dr. Tom : Yes, I can. I am aware of a very fine group of ophthalmologists in The Brampton area. If you will be kind enough to go ahead and rate my help for you we will sign off and I will look and address up for you and email it. Is that satisfactory?

Yes,thank you

Thank you Richard.

Here is the link to a large and well respected ophthalmology group.

Best wishes.