Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I was told to give my 2 year old childrens liquid benadryl

I was told to give my 2 year old childrens liquid benadryl every 6 hours so I went to give her some and half the teaspoon spilled since she pushed my hand away and went in eye, I flushed it w water twice and wiped it n she back to sleep, is if okay went in eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have done the right thing by flushing the eye as that is the first thing to be done.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Flushing the eye helps to remove majority of the irritant out of the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is very unlikely for the syrup to get absorbed into the eye due to its molecular composiion.

Customer: Is it okay, I did wipe n wash eye n she was half asleep but I'm panicking
Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you need not worry about any adverse effect on the child's eye. Once she gets up, you can observe for any redness o the eye. You can put lubricating ye drops suh as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day as it will help to soothen the eye.

Customer: So I didn't do any permanent damage, she fell right back asleep n I just went in again n took wet paper towel over eye
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please do not worry and your child will be absolutely fine when she gets up. Oral liquid medicines cannot enter the eye. They remain on the surface and get flushed out with an eye wash.

Customer: Do u think I should try to wake her again n wash it or since she asleep means its not bothering her or irritated so leave for now? Did u ever hear if a mother doing this before?!!!
Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it would be better to let her sleep. The fact hat she has fallen asleep shows that her eyeis fine and not bothering her.

Customer: Ok, I guess I win mother of the year award for this one! Thank u for ur quick reply to a panicked mom in the middle of the night! Any suggestions/remedies I should do when she wakes since I won't have u right there as a life line?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you should stop blaming yourself for the mishap. It was just an accident which could have happened wih anyone. Being a mother of two I can understand your plight. Trust me her eye will fine in the morning. Just remember to put the suggested eye drops.

Customer: And when u say eye drops, visine basic eye drops or is there a kid version? And if not red at all in morning do I still do or only if red? Thank u again so much!!! I will def give u an excellent rating!
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Don't bother wih visine eye drops. Only lubricating eye drops suh as refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day should be enough. You can use it even if there is no redness of the eye. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: Thank you!
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can drop in a short reply in the morning and brief about her eye. Take care and remember to sleep well.

Hi Erin,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. How is your daughter's eye?Did the lubricating eye drops help? Take care. Please feel free to ask any other eye question in future and I will be glad to help.

Let me know,