Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Suddenly yesterday when I was outside, 3 or 4 out of focus

Suddenly yesterday when I was outside, 3 or 4 out of focus hairy shaped objects appeared in my vision. I was under a tree and thought something dropped down from the tree and got on my glasses or something. I found that it was inside my eye and thought sleeping on it might make it go away. I woke up this morning with the same irregular shaped linear shapes. They appear like dust particles, one horseshoe shaped, most are linear, but not straight. Should I see an optometrist or ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in the affected eye at present?

Customer:

It seems good. The objects are distracting

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case it is most likely that you are experiencing symptoms of posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

Customer:

Should I see and ophthalmologist or optometrist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Better to consult an ophthalmologist as a dilated eye exam is required in this condition to look for the periphery of the retina.

Customer:

What is the urgency or danger as I try to find a doctor

Customer:

How critical is the timing

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In PVD the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Customer:

Thanks, Doctor. It seems that this is not an emergency and should be dealt with by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist, right?) with a routine eye exam.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes.

Customer:

No, thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist