Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I had undergone laser surgery for my eyes last year,so is it

Customer Question

I had undergone laser surgery for my eyes last year,so is it safe for me to use over the counter eyelash growth serums or is it okay if some of the product slips inside my eyes while applying it on the bare eyelids.i would also like to find out if it is safe to use eyelash products of different companies one after the other.
which is the best OTC eyelash growth serum i could use?
lashipix/marvelash/rapidlash/activlash
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Since you are of line, I'll switch to the Q and A section and leave you an answer.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Your primary question was regarding the safety of using " eyelid products after having had laser surgery years ago". Yes, it is safe.

Most people who want to achieve eye lash growth do very well using Latisse. And there is now a generic on the market. It requires a prescription. All ophthalmologists know about how Latisse works and most are happy to write the prescription. For that reason it's recommended that you set up an appointment.

Please let me know if this information is what you needed. It's our job to be sure that you are satisfied with your Answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please be sure to chick the Happy face to rate my help in answering your question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had undergone laser just last year and i would like to know if it is okay if some of the product slips into the eyes or if that happens will i get back my eyesight or will it spoil my vision to a certain extent?

Apart from latisse,which other OTC eyelash growth serums would you recommend?You must have heard about these other products like lashipix/marvelash/rapid lash/activ lash/city lash,etc

I long spidery eyelashes,so which is the best one and how long should i apply for?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

To answer your medical question...."i would like to know if it is okay if some of the product slips into the eyes or if that happens will i get back my eyesight or will it spoil my vision to a certain extent"..............Accidentally getting some of the over the counter product in your eye is not likely to cause any permanent problem, and won't have any specific effect on the laser surgery results. If you get the product in your eye wash it with lots of OTC eye drops like Systane or Refresh. There is no need for you to be overly anxious, as it would be very un-likely that any long term problem would occur with your sight.

Yes, I am aware of eye lash enhancers, but because they are cosmetics, there is no way as a physician to recommend one over the other. But your question was primarily about the effect of accidentally getting a little in your eye and affecting your laser surgery or causing permanent vision problem. There is really very little chance that you will do any damage. If you use them, just be careful. Even thought Latisse is FDA approved , and it is the same medicine as we use to treat glaucoma, we still advise Latisse patients to take care to avoid getting it in the eye. The reason that Latisse is on the market and FDA approved is that it works.

I hope this helps. Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Currently,I am using an OTC serum which is slipping inside my eye and causing dryness,a problem which i had before and has relapsed again because of the serum,so can i still go on with this medication of eyelash growth or am i to stop using them.

if i can go ahead,then would it be possible for you to prescribe me latisse via mail,maybe i could get a scanned copy of the prescription.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Honey,

For the dryness you are having it would be helpful to frequently put OTC artificial tears in your eyes, particularly just after you notice the lash enhancer getting into your eyes. For a Latisse prescription it is necessary for your ophthalmologist to update your eye exam to be sure that your eyes are healthy before writing the script.. But the good news is that Latisse can achieve for you the thicker and darker lashes you want. I hope you are satisfied with your Answer. Sorry that we doctors who answer questions on JA can not provide medical care or write prescriptions for clients. We are here to provide information and aim clients in the right direction. I'm sure that you understand. Thank for letting me answer your question.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi Honey,

If there is anything else that you need answered that will satisfy you with your question please let me know. Otherwise please rate my help by clicking a BIG SMILY face. Thank you.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1)I had just got my eyes checked up a year back and the results were normal,i dont think i have the time to go to an opthamalogist because of my busy schedule,but we do have a family doctor who is not an eye specialist but can provide me the prescription,so can I go ahead applying the latisse without consultation or do you think it is very important that i need to consult before applying it?

2)I would like to find out once again if it is fine for me to use the drug,as i had undergone laser surgery one year back because it is mentioned on the latisse website that people who have undergone surgery should consult the doctor before applying.

3)I am currently using smartlash enhancer,but since i made a sudden decision to switch to latisse,can i start applying it right away or do you think its going to interact with enhancer what i am using now?

4)I am also planning to start my driving classes so do you think the side effects like redness and itching will interfere with my vision or will i be able to see everything clearly?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Honey. The answers to the recent questions you asked are below:

Any MD "can" write any prescription, but it's prudent that one starts at the highest reasonable level of specialization. Your eye specialist who did your laser eye surgery is the most reasonable person to get you started.

This one is answered in #1.

Starting as soon as your eye specialist approves will be fine.

It is unlikely that Latisse use will interfere with your driving classes. Very few patients have those side affects.