Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For the past few days, I have had a strange occurrence with

Customer Question

For the past few days, I have had a strange occurrence with the vision in my right eye. After my eyes have been closed, when I open them, there is a curved brown area in my vision. This is especially true when I come from a brighter to a dimmer area. It is not opaque and I can still see, but it is distracting and I am concerned about what might be causing it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name is Dr Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does this curved area go away or does it stay as long as your eye is open?

Dr. Rick :

Also, does it float around in your vision or stay in the same area of your visual field, like looking through a rifle scope?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Rick says:
9:18 AM
9:19 AM
9:19 AM
9:20 AM
Are you available to chat?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Did you get my post above?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, thank you. The curved area goes away when my eyes are open. It stays in one place. I am available to chat. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mary,

I just got your reply....the internet must be really slow today :(

It sounds like you have a vitreous floater.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

I think the best thing for you to do is have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist on Monday.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS