Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Woke to with a swollen upper eyelid. Its slightly droopy.

Woke to with a swollen upper eyelid. It's slightly droopy. I don't see any style and no pinkness indicating pink eye. My vision is not affected, and it does not itch, burn, etc. just feels heavy. I'm not aware of having any allergies
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contacts?

Customer: No
Dr. Rick :

Can you upload a picture of your eyelid using the paperclip on the screen? Being in good focus is more important than getting a real closeup as I can zoom on my screen...

Customer: I'm on an iPad and don't see a paper clip?
Dr. Rick :

Ya....our system doesn't like Apple products for some reason :(

Dr. Rick :

try this:

Customer: Okay. Well thanks for your time. I'll just keep an eye on it - so to speak:).
Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

Just because you are on an Ipad doesn't mean we can't figure this out :)

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Rick :

Ok

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I've, personally, had this before and like you I woke up with mine one morning......

Customer: Yes. Thanks again for your time.
Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Have a good weekend :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.