Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Tension around the eyes and frontal

Customer Question

Hello!

Hope you do not mind for another question.

Wanted to ask about headaches which have ahappened to me also before. To be more specific, I have been dealing a lot in my life with weight issues and have had the so called yo-yo effects.

Every time I am trying to get to manage my weight, the same issues happen. Earlier I have made right away some trastic changes and then it has failed so this time I have been especially cautios. Started after I had my pneumonia clearing some 2 months ago. I have made sure not to cut out too much on food and in two months have lost now only 10 kilos compared to earlier 15-20 kilos.

However, what always happens is a very mild headache or rather tension, not really a headache, in the front of my head and in the eye area together with some tiredness. Is this is something i am doing wrong or should i get something checked out more? Since I am pretty hypohondric for cancers, anything like this gives me a concern.

Although I am still on a blood pressure medication (Micardis 80/12.5) my blood pressure has dropped within this period from 140/90 to 110/70, rest pulse from 80 to 50.

As for exercise, from doing nothing and walking some 2000 steps a day I have progressed to an average of 12000 steps a day which includes at least minimum 1 hour activity where the heart rate is above 70%.

As for diet I am having at least three meals but have cut out the fast food which was my main food earlier. Although I have not eliminated fat totally, salmon and caesar salad are still on the menu.

One more thing to add here which is new for myself - after sitting for 2-3 hours my knees start to hurt. Not when standing, not when lying, only when sitting. What could cause this?

Once or twice I also get a small short term vertigo, this happens again only if I sit down. Though this and the knee pain do not happen together. Vertigo has actually a pattern I have discovered - happens when I have skipped a meal.

Another question for my wife who is 33. She picked up a flu kind of thing in the middle of the summer!!! She has a mild headache, feels tired, has sore throat, small cough and a running nose. Is this is normal to pick up cold in summer or is there potentially more serious behind this?

With kind regards
Kaido
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that you have to worry about these headaches being a sign of any sort of cancer or brain tumor. As you know, millions of things can bring on headaches and your recent, successful :), efforts to loose weight are probably what is causing them.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that your BP is so much better. It is possible that, if you loose enough weight, you may be able to cut back, or even stop, your BP medication. Of course, do not stop the medication on your on but, rather, only on the advice and supervision of your MD.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good news. I can of thought myself but still wanted to consult with someone who knows these things :-) But would you mind telling what can actually cause this little tension around the eyes or actually slightly above?

Dr. Rick :

I believe you headaches are probably from a minor sinus issue and your diet. From what you have posted I would not worry about the slight vertigo however, next time you see your doctor, mention it to her.....

Customer:

Yes, this happens very, very seldomly and just for a few seconds. And only when laying back behind the computer, never otherwise.

Dr. Rick :

Many times tension about the eyes is caused by stress, dietary changes, lack of sleep etc. It is really never a sign of something terrible like a brain tumor or cancer. You don't have to worry :)

Dr. Rick :

Then I would not worry too much about the vertigo....

Dr. Rick :

Concerning your wife, it is entirely possible to pick up a flu bug or virus in the summer. I would use some tylenol and let it run it's course.

Dr. Rick :

I think she, too, will be OK :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Sounds very good. Thanks a million Dr Rick and have a nice day!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest