Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Blur vision after eye poke saw ophtamologist

Customer Question

Hello, I recently had an eye injury playing soccer this Sunday. I got poked in the eye. My left eye was red like I had pink eye and I have a blur spot in my vision immediately after. The redness went away that night. I am 26 yrs old. I went to see an ophthalmologist and can't recall his diagnosis since he only told me it once. But essentially, he told me there is blood in my eye and a bruised retina. He said I must have definitely got poked and the injury is like I got hit by a tennis ball. I asked him if he can rate the injury 1-10, and he said a 4. I have a constant significant blur spot in my lower half of my left eye. It is significant. He prescribed me a steroid tablet and told me that is all he can do. He can't do nothing else. I may not recover and this blur spot may be permanent. He told me it takes 6 weeks to heal to find out. I am freakin out. Is this all he can do? Will my vision recover where I do not have a blur spot?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist and can help you.

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Rick :

Do you know the name of the pill he gave you?

Customer:

Predisone to be tapered

Dr. Rick :

Did he give you any eye drops?

Dr. Rick :

Ok

Customer:

No, eye drops just predisone

Dr. Rick :

Was this doctor an optometrist (OD) or an ophthalmologist (MD, who does eye surgery)?

Customer:

Online I also noticed some people mentioned drops to keep the eye dilated and I did not get that, and not sure if it is required

Customer:

Opthamologist MD for sure

Dr. Rick :

That depends on the amount of inflammation in your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Do you think he said you have a micro hyphema?

Dr. Rick :

that is blood dispersed inside the eyeball, usually in the anterior chamber (the front of the eye) but sometimes, and more worrisome, in the vitreous (back of the eye)

Customer:

Honestly, I don't know the diagnosis. I really can't remember because he only said it once right away. All I remember he said the injury is as if I got hit by a tennis ball, and there was bleeding behind the eye, and he showed me a line of what I believe is the retina like a curved line, and he said that was bruising

Customer:

Or the line was not normal

Dr. Rick :

Or did he say commotio retinae, sometimes called berlins edema?

Customer:

I honestly am not confident to say

Customer:

I called him today asking questions including the diagnosis and I supposed to get a call back

Dr. Rick :

That's ok. Any chance of getting a copy of his note so you can upload it for my review?

Customer:

Sorry, I don't have one. All I got was a receipt but not like a note of his findings

Customer:

When I find out the diagnosis term from him maybe that can help you more

Dr. Rick :

Just thinking about it, the use of oral steroids makes me think that you have blood inside your eyeball and it is floating around. This is called a micro hyphema. A larger amount of blood (hyphema) should have landed you in the hospital....

Customer:

He did say there was blood and a bruised retina. It appeared to me the bruising of the retina is the most prevalent issue because my eye cleared up that night, and I have blurred vision in my left eye

Customer:

He said something like the retina, or the film of my eye is damaged

Customer:

not sure if it was the retina, but he said the film like in a camera is damaged

Dr. Rick :

If it is a micro hyphema you will be OK but should have close follow up, checking your retina, your angles (looking for angle recession) and watching your eye pressure.

Dr. Rick :

sounds like you need better care. :(

Customer:

he supposedly is a good doctor from reputation. i have a follow up in 3 weeks with him

Customer:

he definitely said it is trauma caused

Dr. Rick :

3 week follow up is OK but I wish he would have explained things better....

Customer:

do you think it can be tramautic iritis?

Dr. Rick :

That is very possible and you may have that along with retina damage (berlins edema)

Customer:

yeah, that is why i called him today, and he supposed to call me back for a better explanation of the diagnosis

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I do not think you need to freak out -- I think your vision will return to normal in time

Customer:

even if it is blurred now? i just find it hard to believe the blurness will go away

Customer:

and even if its berlins edema or traumatic iritis?

Dr. Rick :

If you want, after you press the positive feedback button, we can leave this thread open and I'll be happy to go over your diagnosis, treatment plan and prognosis in detail with you.

Customer:

you mean come back when i find more information from him? right after the injury, my eye was red looked like i had pink eye

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Things should heal up just fine with berlins edema, micro hyphema and even traumatic iritis.

Dr. Rick :

yes. If you can get the exact diagnosis from him, or even better yet, a copy of his clinical note to scan and upload to me, we can go over everything in detail so you will know exactly what to expect.

Customer:

the thing is the injured eye is not sensitive to light so that was throwing me off about traumatic iritis

Dr. Rick :

It is not always sensitive...you may have a micro hyphema....

Customer:

which is still bruising along the retina and can cause blurred vision?

Dr. Rick :

trauma like you had can cause all these things, including a retinal detachment

Customer:

my eye is not red at all so that is why i was also questioning the micro hypena

Dr. Rick :

Yes, berlins edema -- which is like a shaking up of the photoreceptors -- can cause blurry vision

Dr. Rick :

you eye can be perfectly white and be full of blood inside......

Customer:

which would be more of berlins edema? or micro hypema?

Customer:

or traumatic iritis?

Dr. Rick :

more what?

Customer:

which diagnosis would it likely be?

Customer:

also this happened sunday should i ice my eye? would that help? or is it too late?

Dr. Rick :

All of them are possible from what you have posted. Given the use of oral steroids I am leaning toward micro hyphema. In addition, with what the doctor said about your retina I bet you also have berlins edema.

Dr. Rick :

If you had intra-retinal bleeding he would not wait to see you for 3 weeks......so I don't think you have this from what you posted.

Customer:

Do you think oral steroids are the best treatment for this?

Customer:

From your experience, you have seen people with a blurred spot in their vision but heal where it is not there over time?

Dr. Rick :

For micro hyphema? Yes. They are just as good as the old standby, aminocapuric acid, with less side effects and cost.

Customer:

If its for berlins edema or traumatic iritis? is just oral steroids sufficient?

Dr. Rick :

The steroids are only for the micro hyphema. The berlins resolves on its own 99.98% of the time

Dr. Rick :

nothing is 100% in life -- or medicine ;)

Customer:

if its Commotio retina, will my blur spot go away or be permanent?

Customer:

bc i do think he mentioned swelling of the retina but not sure

Dr. Rick :

commotio retinae is just a different name for berlins edema. It make us doctors sound smarter to say that instead of berlins ;)

Dr. Rick :

with berlins it will go away.

Customer:

so if its commotio retinae what are the chances the blur spot will go away and how long would you say is the healing process

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? From what you have posted I do not think you have to freak out. Your vision will return to normal and everything will be OK. As I said above the chances of the blur spot going away is almost 100%.

Dr. Rick :

It may take up to 12 weeks, sometimes more.

Dr. Rick :

No need to go and buy a labrador retriever at this point.

Customer:

ok so if its Commotio retina, the blur spot will go away? bc he told me he cannot gurantee it will and it may be permanent, and if its commotio retina, you believe the oral steroids is sufficient treatment?

Dr. Rick :

The steroids are not for the retina issue. Only time heals that. The steroids are for the micro hyphema

Customer:

ok so for the bruising of the retina, is there any treatment available?

Dr. Rick :

If you could get his chart or exactly what the diagnosis is, I could tell you for sure. For what we have been discussing, berlins edema etc, you are on the right treatment and you will NOT loose any vision permanently

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

The only treatment for berlins edema is time.......no medicine. No surgery. No therapy.

Customer:

ok sorry for the hassle, i'm just worried because he said this blur spot potentially may be permanent and he cant gurantee a full recovery

Customer:

i will find out more from him and return back

Dr. Rick :

Like I said, nothing is for sure in life...he was probably just hedging his bets

Dr. Rick :

sounds like a plan. :)

Dr. Rick :

Just mash the accept button and, when you get more information, open up this thread and we can continue at no additional costs.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening

Customer:

yeah, i thought about that maybe he was covering his ass but still very worrying

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

where do i click to do that?

Dr. Rick :

There should be an accept button once I switch over......here it comes.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to hearing from you when you get more data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I promise I will rate and pay. Still awaiting doctor's response. Will follow up with him this Monday. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Gil,

I do not understand what response you are waiting for before pressing the positive feedback button.

There is a place to pick feedback on your screen. Are you saying you do not see one?

You can push it now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you for your patience. I'll rate and pay after your last response but I will be gone until the night to do so, so do not expect an immediate reply. The Doctor called me back and said its commidio retinae with bruising on the retina causing the blurriness. No other diagnosis observed. I still have a significant blur spot in my center left eye with no improvement. I been taking eye vitamins freaking out hoping it will help the healing process. Will this go away? How long approximately? And can I wear contacts? Is there any treatment/meds? Should I avoid working out until it heals? Thanks very much!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Gil,

That is very good news. You have exactly what we were talking about and, in the end, everything should return to normal..

You do not need to take eye vitamins. There is no evidence that they will help with this condition...save your money (for pressing the excellent rating button and a tip ;-)

To answer your questions directly:

1. Yes. It has a 98% chance of resolving completely (nothing is 100% in life or ophthalmology)

2. A month or two. Maybe more. Maybe less. Only time will tell.

3. Yes. You can wear contacts.

4. The only treatment is time to allow things to heal on their own.

5. If you are an Olympic Golden Gloves boxer, you should not spar for a bit. Otherwise normal workouts are OK. Just don't get crazy.

Does this make sense to you?

Does this mean you are going to mash the accept button?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best. Take care.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Gil,

Thank you :)