Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My mother has bee taking pilocarpine and timolol for over 20

My mother has bee taking pilocarpine and timolol for over 20 yrs after an operation for glaucoma. Pilocarpine is now un available in the immediate future but doctor sez it will be ok just to take the timolol as there is no alternative for pilocarpine and as long as she carries on with the timolol she should be fine. She is 92 and worried about it. Will this be ok?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it is alright for her to use Timolol eye drops only as long as the IOP is controlled with it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Pilocarpine was used earlier but was not continued due to various side effects and because of the entry of newer and better anti-glaucoma eye drops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the eye drops were used with the sole purpose of keeping the intraocular pressure under control, then I guess Timolol should do the same.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are other anti-glaucoma eye drops available such as Brimonidine with or without Timolol which can control the IOP more effectively.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess it is alright to continue with the Timolol eye drops at present.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The need to add another eye drops would only arise if Timolol is unable to keep the IOP under control.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

If the eye drops were used with the sole purpose of keeping the intraocular pressure under control, then I guess Timolol should do the same. There are other anti-glaucoma eye drops available such as Brimonidine with or without Timolol which can control the IOP more effectively.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Hi ,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.Is your mother continuing with Timolol eye drops ? Did my answer help? You seem to have viewed the answer but not rated it yet. I was wondering if there was anything else that was left unanswered. If not , do remember to rate the answer.

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai