Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello, I am a healthy 40 year old woman who has now had

I am a healthy 40 year old woman who has now had two separate incidents of blurriness for about 12 hours in one eye.

The first time I had a headache with it, the second time no pain at all. Both times it lasted about half the day.

I had a neurological exam at my GP and she noted I had a small "extra beat" when following her finger side to side.

She is concerned about MS, thinking this is optic neuritis.

Could this just be an ocular migraine?

Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : First of all, this "extra beat" is a normal finding so I'm not concerned about that. But please allow me to ask you some questions so I can get a better understanding of what's happening to you.
Doctor DanB : Did you notice any shimmery or zig-zagged lights around an area of blurry or voided vision?Did this come on suddenly (within 1-2 seconds) or more gradually (over 10-30 seconds)?Did it go away suddenly or gradually?Was it associated with nausea, noticeable irritability, sensitivity to loud noises or bright lights?Has this ever happened to you before?
Customer: Hello,
Customer: no, none of those symptoms accompanied the eye blurriness.
Customer: I woke up in the am, both times, and realized when I put my glasses on my right eye was blurry. I think each time it lasted from 8am-6pm?
Customer: Oh and both times my actual eye did not hurt at all.
Customer: The events were about six weeks apart. My doctor is concerned because I have a patch of numbness on my back that I have had for years. I have always associated it with a c-section I had two years ago.
Customer: Oh and I think it went away gradually.
Doctor DanB : Did the blurriness vary with blinking? Did these episodes of blurriness occur after a day when you had been using your eyes heavily (reading or computer)?
Customer: Hi, no it did not vary with blinking.
Customer: I am on the computer all of the time, every day about the same amount, which sad to say is a lot.
Doctor DanB : About how many hours/day?
Customer: Around 8 hours a day?
Customer: Each episode happened as soon as I opened my eyes in the am.
Customer: One of those mornings I had been reading on my phone in bed for a while, I tend to close one of my eyes when I do that actually. Didn't think about that before.
Doctor DanB : Was it accompanied by any burning, tearing, discharge, redness, or crusting/mattering of your lashes?
Customer: But, I do that all of the time.
Customer: No. It felt like it had nothing to do with my actual eye if that makes any sense.
Doctor DanB : And you were able to close the eye in question and have the blurriness go away?
Customer: Not sure what you mean by that, but if I blinked or closed my eye, when I opened it my vision was still blurry.
Customer: It was just blurry enough to be irritating, but I could still see. At first I thought something happened with my glasses, so I put a spare pair on and the same thing happened. When the episode passed I saw crystal clear again until the next time.
Doctor DanB : This happened in one eye only, both times, correct?
Customer: Yes, same eye, twice. Same amount of time each episode. About 5/6 weeks apart.
Customer: Also I had an eye exam just three months ago.
Doctor DanB : I just want to verify that the blurriness was only in one eye and not just one half of your visual field that can make it seem like its in one eye if you didnt actually verify that by closing the eye that was blurry to see that it went away when you did it. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, I verified it was just the one eye. I covered my other eye to check.
Customer: And the first time I had a headache on the side of the blurry eye.
Customer: I do have a fairly new prescription. The doctor said I had a change in my nearsightedness and at first he under corrected it and I had to go back. Would this happen if the new script was too strong on that side?
Doctor DanB : Are you wearing prescription glasses when this happens or over-the-counter reading glasses or no glasses or contacts at all?
Doctor DanB : Okay you just answered that thanks.
Customer: Prescription glasses.
Doctor DanB : Its unlikely this would've happened because of that. What is more likely is that you're having an accommodative spasm or a muscle spasm of the muscles that allow you to focus up close. This can happen in one eye at a time, be associated with a headache and is more likely to be happening because you are nearing the onset of presbyopia.
Customer: With presbyopia it would just be fuzzy up close?
Doctor DanB : Yes, essentially but you wouldn't necessarily be noticing near vision fuzz yet, just a decreased ability to sustain near focus for long amounts of time, possibly.
Customer: Would I feel the eye trying to focus in that case?
Doctor DanB : Not necessarily, no. But it is possible.
Customer: Everything seemed equally as fuzzy. Up close and distance. I do have an astigmatism. I should have mentioned that, I am sorry.
Customer: I asked the question about feeling the eye try to focus because I could not feel my eye trying to "make it right" like I do when I let my prescription get too old.
Doctor DanB : No problem. When you are in an accommodative spasm, things both at near and far will appear fuzzy, so I would expect that.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: Just one, what causes accomodative spasms? Thank you!
Doctor DanB : Predominately it is prolonged accommodation, which is the eyes focusing muscles working to allow for near vision. So hours upon hours of near vision work to include reading, or computer work usually.
Customer: Okay, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX than optic neurosis.
Customer: Did not realize how late it is, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
Doctor DanB : Absolutely. I agree. Based on what you're telling me I'm not worried about that. Good luck to you. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology