Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had a severe bout of vertigo approx 7 days ago. Am on high

I had a severe bout of vertigo approx 7 days ago. Am on high dose prednsone . Diagnosis is vestibular neuritis. I also have double vision which is not indicated with vestibular neuritis. what tests should be run for double vision?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you avsilable to chat?
Doctor DanB : Did the double vision only start in conjunction with the vestibular neuritis or have you had episodes of it in the past?

Yes, i woke up with the world spinning.

never had anything in the past

Doctor DanB : If you cover one eye does the double vision go away?

Doctor DanB : Does it matter which eye you cover? In other words, does it go away regardless when you cover either the right or left eye?

great question, if i cover either eye i have single vision

Doctor DanB : Are the images side-by-side, up and down or diagonally oriented to each other?

they are generally diagonal sometimes appear side by side as i hold something closer

Doctor DanB : Are the images completely separate? Do they blend about halfway or are you seeing a shadow or ghost image as the second image?

they blend about half way. I used a playing card. the number appeared diagonal then blended in

as i moved it closer

Doctor DanB : Have you had any severe headaches, episodes where the vision blacked out in one eye then came back, tenderness in your scalp, or cramping in your jaw when you chew your food or talk?

Nothing like that. The only thing i have is seasonal allergies

Doctor DanB : Okay. Thank you for that detailed history and for answering all my questions. At your age and in relatively good health otherwise and also with negative answers to most of my important questions, I suspect that this double vision is actually related to your vestibular neuritis. While classically they are not thought to be causally related, the vestibular system plays a regulatory role in keeping the retinas aligned; when it malfunctions the brain can malfunction causing some inability to keep the horizontal and vertical stabilizing forces working properly. Certainly...
Doctor DanB : Certainly, however, I am unfortunately unable to diagnose you through this type of venue. For that reason, I do think it is important that you see her ophthalmologist to determine if there are other causes for double vision such as a palsy of one of the nerves that moves the muscles of the eye. Does this make sense?

it does . I am trying to get a response from my PCP to drop the Meclizine as i understand the healing of the vestibular

i was thinking of a nero opthalmologist

Doctor DanB : Yes--excellent choice! Do you have any other questions about this?

no and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a very frustrating issue

Doctor DanB : I can certainly understand. Good luck to you then. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!