Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

is cyst on the sclera dangerous

Customer Question

is cyst on the sclera dangerous
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat now?
Customer :

yes doc

Dr. Tom : Great, give me a minute to type a response and then we can chat. Okay?
Customer :

I noticed I had this clear bubble on my left eye last week, and the surrounding is a bit reddish. At the time I was on business trip so didn't have time to go see a doctor. I didnt put any drop on the eye either, sice i read on the google most likely it was just an harmless infection. For 2 days I stop wearing my daily contact lense on the 3 rd day it seemed to almost disappeared. So decided to wear the contact again, but by the end of the day it became red again and the bubble seemed to come back. Today almost a week later I went to see an optomalgist ( I live in Jakarta Indonesia) because since last night I felt discomfort on my eye. It feels dry and some other discomfort.

Dr. Tom : Most of the cyst that develop on the surface of the conjunctiva, overlying the sclera, are typically benign and/or frequently caused by an allergic or dry eye symptoms. Ophthalmologist or trying to make diagnoses of this nature and it is very unlikely that anything has been missed. I Answer any other specific questions about persist?
Customer :

the character of cyst usually they grow, do you think this will be the case ?

Dr. Tom : Sorry, what I meant to type was that ophthalmological store trained to make these diagnoses.
Dr. Tom : Typically, sister as you describe did not get any significantly larger and usually go away with time.
Customer :

Does need to remove surgically if it does grow bigger?

Dr. Tom : Sorry again, sister was meant to be cysts.
Dr. Tom : May I answer anything else?
Customer :

what do need to put to medicate it?

Customer :

can I still wear contact lenses?

Dr. Tom : If there is no itching, the refresh eyedrops your doctor recommended should be adequate treatment.
Dr. Tom : If the contact doesn't actually rub against the cyst in all probability careful use of the contacts would not cause any additional trouble.
Customer :

How long usually this type of cyst will go away?

Dr. Tom : Simple conjunctival cyst typically resolve pretty quickly. Yours seems to have come up suddenly and was possibly related to a dry eye. Perhaps a week or two, and if it hasn't dissolved consider letting your ophthalmologist have another look. Occasionally we use some stronger eyedrops if there is an allergic component.
Dr. Tom : Is there anything else regarding this that I can answer for you today?
Customer :

No Thank you

Dr. Tom : You are very welcome. Before you sign out please take a moment to do the rating. Thank you very much best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please take a minute to post a positive rating,,,and let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks.