Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My 18 year old daughter was born with convergence insufficiency

My 18 year old daughter was born with convergence insufficiency and strabismus. Her convergence was fixed with vision therapy and she had surgery in the left eye for Exotrophy Strabismus, which help her throbbing and the eye going out.

3 years ago she had a cervical whiplash injury, and ever since her injury she cannot go to school like a normal student; she gets one on one teaching and much has to be be verbal. She is walking on her own again, thanks to her Nucca Chiropractor. Her Neuro Ophthalmologist saids her problem is comprehension dylixia. She has always been an "A" student, though it would take her longer than most students.

My questions to you is as follows: Can a cervical whiplash injury cause her stramisbus to become worse. Her eye muscle hurts really bad after 30 minutes of reading, etc.

What type of specialized should she see for this problem?
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

That is a very good question. I would not expect her whiplash injury to make her strabismus worse, or make it return. And, if her strabismus had been made worse, or returned, the neuro-ophthalmologist would have instantly picked this up on her exam. As such, I do not feel this is an issue in her current, post whiplash, problems.

Due to the complex nature of your daughters history, if you would like to have a more complete workup then what the neuro-ophthalmologist can offer, I would suggest taking your daughter to an ophthalmology department at a large university hospital.
At an institution like that your daughter could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

~ Yes, this makes complete sense. My daughters neuro ophthalomologist suggested what you just said as well.

Thank you so very much!!

Dian Visnovits

Sounds like a pretty smart neuro-ophthalmologist ;-)

I'm glad I could help. Give my best to your daughter.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.