Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Is it necessary to get Eylea shots monthly for extended period

Is it necessary to get Eylea shots monthly for extended period when commencing initial treatment?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : There is no regimented proscribed protocol for every situation. Therefore, every specialist is different as to what regimen they apply. Many apply monthly injections for the first several months others only as needed. Some prescribe a monthly regimen, every month. Others only as necessary. So every specialist is different. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Please let me know when you are available on line to chat about my question. thank you.

Doctor DanB : I am on now. Since it may be difficult to sync our schedules up, perhaps you can respond to my answer with any questions you may have?

Thank you for responding. My specific issue is with Eylea which I've read can be give every 2 months after an initial 3 month period of ejections. I am still taking monthly injections after 6 months and was curious as the effectiveness of this or if it continues to be necessary (taking monthly shots vs. going to every other month). Thank you again for responding.

Doctor DanB : I suspect that if you are still going monthly it is because the condition you are dealing with is requiring the shorter interval to treat it successfully for right now. However, it's possible that it may not be working as effectively as it could and your doctor may be contemplating changing therapies. I can't really say, though I bet if you posed your thoughts to your doctor they may give you an idea as to what they're thinking/planning. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

No. I understand and appreciate your response. I will pursue with doctor or next visit. (to date I've just been going along with shot schedule). I'll finish up with rating and thanks again.