Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi there, I recently went to a canadian walmart vision center,

Hi there, I recently went to a canadian walmart vision center, where I currently have a trial contact lens file. I am currently in the works of trying on the lenses. Am I allowed to legally obtain the prescription of the lenses that I am wearing from that Trial file? The optician that was there told me that under the College of Opticians law or something like that, that I have no legal right to my trial prescription. I am assuming that is incorrect, because I know that for canadian health law, I have access to all my personal health information, even if it is a trial. I just want to know the prescription I was given with the Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism, and the regular Acuvue Oasys.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 12 months ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you asking a legal or medical question?
Doctor DanB : From what I can tell they may be required to provide you the clinicians's notes from the encounter, but I doubt they would put it in a format that would allow you to purchase contact lenses with (an actual prescription) unless you paid for the prescription. This is how most US optometrists would function as well. Does this make sense?
Customer:

That makes sense. So I am at least entitled to the trial prescription, correct?

Customer:

She stated that she could not legally release that information to me because the College of Opticians does not allow them to release that information.

Customer:

Well, at least I am entitled to have a copy of the encounters notes, and things like that.

Customer:

Because I have had these trial lenses for about a month now, and I think they are starting to deteriorate too much

Customer:

I think I'll just go back and argue with her. She annoyed me because she kept bringing up the fact that I need to talk to the college of opticians

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately I can't comment on the rules of the Canadian College of Opticians' rules , but I suspect they won't give you the trial prescription because either you didn't pay for an actual prescription or because the optometrist may not have verified the contacts' fit on your eyes.
Customer:

Ah, so there needs to be a verification of the fitting...

Customer:

Makes sense.

Customer:

But I paid for the lenses and the visit

Customer:

... but the optician did say that they had to be properly fitted

Customer:

Hmmm.

Doctor DanB : Most optometrists are going to want to see the contacts on you to make sure they are properly fitted.
Customer:

I was going through the fitting at the location, was using them for about an hour while I was there...

Customer:

Cause I've been trying to find a way to convert my eyeglass prescription into a contact lens prescription, but haven't had much success

Customer:

they fit perfectly fine

Customer:

and are comfortable

Customer:

but I would rather listen to the warnings

Customer:

and wear them for only the required 2 weeks

Customer:

It's been 2 months

Doctor DanB : It may be that you feel that they fit just fine but sometimes they can be too tight for the health if the corneas and still feel just fine.
Customer:

Yes, I've been reading on that

Customer:

I'm spending a few days just wearing my glasses for now

Doctor DanB : I see. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

No, that's the last that I need

Customer:

Thank you

Doctor DanB : Okay good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology