Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Eye prescription modification to see computer.

I am disabled and have a 32" computer monitor at the end of my bed. It is JUST within my ability to read the text on it...I have to strain to see it though. If I sit 2' away from the screen my normal prescription glasses make it perfectly clear. When I am in my normal setup though I am 4'5" from the screen and have to deal with tiny text that is kinda blurry.

My question is...can I adjust my prescription in a manner that makes my computer text sharp so I can get a pair of glasses dedicated to use with the computer and my 'too far away" monitor?  How would my prescription need to be updated?  

My current prescription is: Right Eye (OD): Sphere SPH: -1.75 Cylinder CYL: -1.25 Axis: 145 ADD Addition (near) Left Eye (OS): Sphere SPH: -2.50 Cylinder CYL: -0.25 Axis: 30 ADD Addition Pupillary Distance (PD): 63

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Unfortunately, 4'5" away is really too far for any modification of your glasses to allow you to see that small print at that far of a distance. The only way that you will see this clear as to enlarge the font on your monitor or to have a small telescope (which is practically useless). Unfortunately there's no modification that will make this clear at that distance. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wish it were better news. I do increase the font most of the time, but it is still a problem for some websites. I guess I will have to search out another solution. It is crazy how 2' can make such a huge difference.