Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello wanting your opinion. I had upper eyelid surgery 2 years

Hello wanting your opinion. I had upper eyelid surgery 2 years ago and one eye wasn't open as much as the other which now appears different from the other one. My question is, is it safe to have another surgery to correct the difference? What are the risks of cutting in the incision again?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Yes, it is certainly possible to have eyelid surgery again to further correct an eyelid that was not opened enough. The risks are very similar to the initial surgery, but because this is a second surgery there are risks of more scar tissue building up. However, this risk is minimal. This is a very common thing to have done, to re-operate on an eyelid that was over- or undercorrected. Does this make sense?

I know my left eye is deeper set, but the lid is slightly covering the very top of the pupil, just enough to make that left eye loud almond shaped and my right eye look more round. It seems li I haveke ptosis

It looks like I have a wider amount of skin from left inner corner to about the middle part of my eye. I took scotch tape and taped the skin up near eyebrow and it looked much better. The inner corner of my left eye seek to retain more fluid too and appear a little puffy. I really never noticed much of a difference in my eyes before this one surgery

are there nerves in the lid that could be damaged?

Doctor DanB : It's possible that there are nerves danaged; that's a risk of every eyelid surgery though its unlikely. From what you've described there are clear things that can be done to correct the eyelid

How do you avoid the nerves in the think skin of eyelid

Is it common to have to correct an eye?

I had tremendous swelling of the eyes after the surgery and the doctor stitched the eyelid down to the botXXXXX XXXXXd. I thought maybe that pulled the eyelid on that eye down more. Is that possible

Doctor DanB : You avoid the nerves by knowing where they should be anatomically. While its not necessarily common to have to re-operate on an eyelid, it certainly is not rare either. Yes, it's possible that this could've contributed to the eyelid being lower on this side. Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Thank you