Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

For close up reading I use 3.0 diopter glasses. Im not sure

For close up reading I use 3.0 diopter glasses. I'm not sure what strength or the prescription is for longer distance. I recently renewed my drivers license and I only just passed the eye test wearing glasses. I went to my eye doctor and I THINK he said that stronger glasses would not have helped me passed the drivers license eye test - in other words - "the glasses you've got now are as good as it gets". Something doesn't seem right here - my eyes aren't that bad. Is it possible to get to a point where there are no glasses that can be bought that will enable one to pass the drivers license eye test? I'm asking because I'm concerned that I may not be able to renew my license next time around.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Did your eye doctor tell you that there was anything else wrong with your eyes? Did he mention cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, or dry eyes syndrome?

No he didn't - he said everything else was OK

I am able to chat now

Doctor DanB : Did you see an ophthalmologist or sn
Doctor DanB : Or an optometrist?

i'm not sure to be honest. He operates inside a Costco

Thanks for your help so far. What I'm trying to find out is - if someone does NOT have cataracts, glaucoma etc. is it possible for their eyes to deteriorate so much that even with the "strongest" glasses available they cannot pass the drivers license test (in California)?

Doctor DanB : Oh. Okay. That's an optometrist. It is neither common nor normal to have the situation you are experiencing. Usually there is some reason for the inability to correct your vision to level better than that. And the things I asked about are the most common reasons. For that reason I would recommend seeing ophthalmologist.

OK. So in 5 years time when my D/L needs renewing - as long as I don't have glaucoma etc. I should be able to obtain glasses that will enable me to pass the CA drivers eye test?

One more question: does staring at a computer screen all day weaken eyes for short and also longer distance?

Doctor DanB : Not necessarily, I don't think that is a one to one relationship. I strongly suspect that something is preventing you from having better vision right now. I think that you should see the ophthalmologist now and not let it get to the point that you can't pass it. If there is glaucoma or macular degeneration happening now, after a few years your vision may be permanently damaged.
Doctor DanB : No, neither short nor long.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?