Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello, I had itchy eyes today from pollen and rubbed my eyes

Hello, I had itchy eyes today from pollen and rubbed my eyes and now my left eye has a broken blood vessel/red patch in the corner. Applied cold compress and then used lots of eye drops in that eye,,,first a natural tears drop then Opcon-A,,,now noticed that the pupil in that eye is more dilated than the other. Did the use of the Opcon-A (quite a bit) have caused this? Thank you

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, the chemical in the Opcon-A that treats the allergies has a property that constricts blood vessels and this has an effecton the pupil to cause some dilation as a side effect. Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?            It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 

Thank you for your reply. Another question I would like to ask is related to the large red blotch on my eye that happened as a result of my rubbing . There is no discomfort but a ))slight irritation ,,,approximately how long will it take before the blood spot starts to get smaller? It is fairly large,,thank you

Doctor DanB : It can take a week to two weeksmformthe red spot to go away. It is basically a bruise. It happened because of the eye rubbing.