Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I wear contacts and my 5 year old glasses interchangeably.

I wear contacts and my 5 year old glasses interchangeably. I just recently got a new pair of glasses online. My eye clinic prescribed me -2.75 contacts for both eyes, which seem to have been working fine for me, however, when I saw my eyelgass Rx, the left eye is -2.75 and the right is -2.5 with -.50 astigmatism. I don't think the astigmatism has ever been corrected as it is so mild. I'm also not sure why I was not prescribed -2.5 contacts for my right eye. My new glasses have the astigmatism correction, and my right eye feels strained, as well as the "depth perception" weirdness that I think is common with new astigmatism Rx. Should I get my new glasses re-made? Is it "bad" to correct such a mild astigmatism?

Thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it is not bad to correct a mild astigmatism. It does take time to adapt to a newly introduced astigmatic correction.

Customer:

Yes, I'm available

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Contact lenses can correct a mild astigmatism hence the regular spherical power is given.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you are very comfortable with the contact lenses, it shows that the right lens is able to correct the astigmatism too ( with - 2.75).

Customer:

Ok, thank you. Could part of the eye strain be from the reduction in strength from -2.75 to -2.5 and if so, should that be changed? I feel that it is too soon to tell if the strain/odd vision is only from the astigmatism correction or both

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You need not get the glasses remade. It is better to get used to it.

Customer:

ok, thank you. One more thing, once I am used to the glasses, will there be any problem with switching between my -2.75 contacts and the glasses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since it is a newly introduced cylindrical power for astigmatism, it is expected to cause some discomfort initially until you get adjusted to it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, There will not be any problem with the switching.

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your help!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist