Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Left contacts in WAY too long (weeks). Been feeling fine until

Customer Question

Left contacts in WAY too long (weeks). Been feeling fine until yesterday. Eyes have always been dry (don't seem to produce natural tears anymore): drops only last so long in the desert and this heat. So once I took them out last night, both eyes burned, put drops in and helped some. My right eye, became a little swollen, hurts to touch, feels like I still have something in my eye. Is this just an irritation or broken blood vessel? Or is more?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from swelling, does the right eye have redness ?

Customer : Ok, my connection doesn't work well with chat but ill try
Customer : Lots of redness last night, minor now
Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there is a broken vessel, the eye appears bright red, has no pain.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Must have been the irritation from having left the contacts in the eye for so long.

Customer : On and off pain but eye redness is clearing
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the redness is clearing and there is no continuous pain in the eye as such, you can continue with the lubricating eye drops, 4-6 times a day.

Customer : Ty, have to run to work now, bye
Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the risks of wearing contacts continuously is that of a corneal abrasion or even a corneal ulcer. However this would be very painful with severe redness and pain along with light sensitivity.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hope you fell better with the lubricating eye drops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case symptoms persist beyond a week of lubricating eye drops, then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look of the cornea.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can even use lubricating eye ointment at bedtime. It is better to refrain from using contact lenses till symptoms disappear completely.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Chris,

Let me know if my answer helped.

Thank you and take care.