Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have some questions about contact lenses. My left eye

I have some questions about contact lenses.

My left eye is my dominant eye and is very slightly blurred. My right eye is good enough that if my dominant eye was as good I probably would not have even noticed that my vision needed any correction at all.

Can I only get a prescription for my dominant eye and only wear a contact in that eye?

Also even though my non-dominant eye is good enough to not notice any blur, it is not as good as it could be. Can I get a prescription only for my worse eye that only matches the "good enough" acuity for my better eye, rather than getting the best possible acuity for my dominant eye?

I would be perfectly happy with only a slight improvement to my worse eye, and feel if I ended up getting maximum acuity for one or both eyes it would be difficult to not want to wear my contacts all the time, and become too dependent on them, not to mention the extra cost.

Also I am curious if you might have any insight into what is going on with my left eye. It seems to be a refractive error because when I very gently press my eyelid right above my eye the blur disappears completely. I have also noticed that when I tilt my head to the right I see the blur in my left eye, but when I tilt my head to the left it vanishes.

What might this mean? Nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism or something else?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have not answered my questions yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please answer my questions.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Brandon,

Darn! My entire answer was eaten by the Gremlins that reside in the internet. I have no idea why it didn't post.

Oh well, please allow me to retype it and answer your questions in order:

1. Yes. This can, and often, is done.

2. Yes. This, too, is a common practice and can be safely done.

3. Wearing contacts, or even glasses, will not make you "dependent" on them. Yes, you might come to enjoy the clearer vision but your eyes would work as before once you remove them.

4. It sounds like you have some astigmatism. A better way (then by pressing on your eye and tilting your head) to figure out exactly what is going on would be to have a simple refraction. :)

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system and the gremlins that live in the computers of the internet...
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have some questions about laser surgery.

Ideally I would prefer not to wear contacts or glasses because I have a very active lifestyle - swimming, skiing, basketball, martial arts - all activities that I am concerned glasses or contacts would interfere with.

I have read a lot about laser surgery but have not been able to find definitive answers to a few questions. I don't care about the cost difference or the time it takes to recover best vision - I want the best possible results long term with the least risk of complications..

I know PRK and LASIK are the 2 most popular types. I am only aware of a few differences. LASIK cuts a flap into the cornea that never heals and PRK does not. And PRK takes longer recovery because the entire outer layer of the cornea is removed and needs to re-grow.

Are there any other key differences I should know about?

Are the statistics for best achieved visual acuity higher with PRK or with LASIK?

Which is less likely to cause complications - worsened night vision, halos, starbursts, or permanent complications?

How well does the LASIK flap re-attach to the cornea? How much force would it take to detach it? Would chronic irritation cause it to eventually come loose, such as rubbing the eyes, swimming or contact sports?

In the case that there were complications with either PRK or LASIK what is the probability that they can be successfully corrected?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Brandon,

Let me go over your questions/statements in order.

1. the lasik flap does "heal" on some respects in that it sucks back down onto the eye so it is very hard, but not impossible, to lift up again.

2. No. You pretty much got the differences between PRK and lasik down :)

3. Lasik is better faster but, in the end the final vision is about the same.

4. PRK is safer because there is no flap made so no risks associated with a flap

5. The flap reattaches very strongly....nothing to worry about there. Swimming etc will not jar it loose.

6. Depends on the complications. I've seen eyes lost completely from both PRK and LASIK. But, the vast majority of issues can be taken care of with good visual outcome.

I, personally,would do lasik if I needed it. PRK hurts too much and I am a wimp when it comes to pain

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD