Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I was just prescribed +5.25 lenses with +1.00 bifocals and

I was just prescribed +5.25 lenses with +1.00 bifocals and was wondering if I am farsighted and how far from 20/20 vision I am and if I am legally blind? I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and will my vision keep changing and for how long and how much and will my vision ever go back to normal once my blood sugars stabilize?

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Since you are not on line I will give you some information and then you can ask questions until you are satisfied. First, your "+" prescription is consistent with being farsighted. Second, you are probably not legally blind. You would have to have such poor vision, with glasses, that you couldn't see the " Big E " on the eye chart and the third part of your question was about changes and return to normal. Usually in a few months after getting diabetes under control the prescription stabilizes , many people return to their pre diabetic prescriptions. I notice that your prescription has a + add. You didn't state your age, but if you are in your 40s needing a reading add is normal and that won't revert back. The hits all of us sooner or later. Does that give you the information you need?

Let me know if you have further questions, but if you are satisfied please click a positive rating. Thank you
Please take a minute to click a positive rating if you don't have any more questions. Thank you.