Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I was diagnosed with congenital glaucoma at a young age. I

I was diagnosed with congenital glaucoma at a young age. I was told that this caused damage to my cornea but not optic nerve. What exact kind of damage can occur to my cornea and how would it be treated?

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Tom :

Please let me know when you come back on line and we'll go to work on your question. There are a couple of facts about your situation that could have a bearing on your answer. So I'll wait until we can have a live chat. I'll check back in a little later to see when you are available.

Dr. Tom :

Are you available now?

Dr. Tom :

It looks like you might not be typing a reply in the chat box.

Dr. Tom :

So let's try to answer the question as you asked it. " What exact kind of damage can occur to my cornea and how would it be treated?" Corneal damage may be none, minimal or visually significant. Give me a minute to describe the second two.

Dr. Tom :

Minimal damage might be only the loss of some of the cells lining the inside of the cornea. That may never be a problem if the pressure is normal. In later life it might cause some cloudy vision from corneal swelling. It can often be treated with eye drops that every ophthalmologist understands. If the congenital glaucoma caused severe corneal damage, a layer called Descemet's Membrane might have been torn leading to Haab's striea, or scars in the cornea. This too might not cause visual problems. In the most severe and visually significant cases, corneal transplant can cure the problem. Does that help you with your question?

Dr. Tom :

Since we are not doing a live chat, I will switch to the Q and A format. You can reply by email there. Let me know what else you need to know.

Let me know if this answered your question to your satisfaction? Thanks.

Dan, Please let me know if there is anything further I can answer about this question.
BTW Dan......after you sign out and rate your answer...I will be glad to send you an email with a couple of good medical websites that extend on your condition. Just let me know if you would like that.