Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

46 yr old female glasses wearer for about 35 years for far

46 yr old female
glasses wearer for about 35 years for far vision correction
hbp - controlled by medicine
In recent weeks my near vision has become terrible. I appreciate that at my age, bifocals are on the horizon but I'm surprised by this sudden and dramatic change in vision quality. Is this unusual?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any known history of diabetes mellitus?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Two weeks is certainly a very short period to have noticed your receding near vision. Presbyopia ( age related regression of the near vision) is expected to be a very gradual process which would get noticed over months.

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

yes - available

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

yes diabetes

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

but controlled now by weight loss and diet

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

family history or diabetes as well

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

correction - i do have a family history of diabetes as well (mother, maternal grandmother)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What is your spectacle correction for distance?

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

I'm sorry but i do not know. best I can say is my Rx is fairly strong

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In recent weeks has the near vision got blurred with glasses on or without the glasses?

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

with glasses on - i have to remove the glasses to read close up

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

but working at computer is also blurry

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

must wear my glasses for computer work (distance sufficient that I cannot see clearly w/o glasses)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you need to check with the blood sugar levels along with HB1ac( for blood glucose levels over 3 months). You would also need to try out progressive glasses which can help to correct near, intermediate and distance vision together.

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

am currently taking levsin-sl for abdominal pain/cramping - could that be an issue?

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

my A1c was 5.1 and fasting glucose was 62 - just had bloodwork in last 2 weeks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there has been a recent fluctuation in the blood sugar levels then it can lead to temporary blurring of vision ( worsening of short sightedness).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. The levels are pretty much under good control.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does not look like the medicine for abdominal cramps could have caused this.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess a vision test with refraction would help at this point. It is better to consider wearing progressive glasses instead of unifocals alone. It would help with your near vision without having to take off the glasses .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sorry but you actually gave me a negative rating just now.

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

yes - i hadnt thought about the medicine connection until we were chatting and what I found says blurriness is a side effect

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

i would have expected you to find that as well

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Were you looking for something else? I was concerned about fluctuating blood sugars as the cause of reduced near vision but since you gave normal levels, it did not seem like the cause of it.

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

i appreciate the diabetes connection - it has ctrossed my mind too

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

but the values have been very good

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you notice blurring of near vision after taking the tablets for abdominal cramps only?

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

im not sure how they coincide - had tried other things for the abdominal pain first so not positive that the visiion issue started with the levsin

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

both are recent

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

thank you for the help

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

do you want me to change my rating?

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

this is my first use and i guess i expected more information

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I did check with the eye effects of Levsin SL which mentions blurred vision and headache, but these are the lesser known effects of hyoscyamine. One would be expected to have its more common side effects rather than blurring of vision alone.

JACUSTOMER-vryxyqew- :

ok - thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

service rating = ok

Hello Cindy,

Thank you for the reply. How is the blurring of vision now? Have you noticed any change after stopping the medicine for abdominal cramps?
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

vision is actually better since stopping the Levsin-SL! I scheduled an appointment with my opthamologist as well. Thank You.