Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am a female, 66 years. I have glacoma in my right eye.

I am a female, 66 years. I have glacoma in my right eye. Two days ago, I noticed my left eye was very red. It almost looks like blood is in my eye to the left of the eye ball. The only medication I am on is Lumigan for the glacoma.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you mean to say that the left eye ( which does not have glaucoma) has developed redness since two days?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

No, the redness is in the right eye. I have glaucoma in my right eye. I wear one contact lense in my right eye. However, I have not put the contact lense in my eye for the past two days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any watering / pain/ cloudy vision , apart from the redness in that eye?

Customer:

No ther is no watering, pain, or cloudy vision. The only sympton is the eye is very red.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image
Does it appear similar to this?

Customer:

The white portion of the eye is not all red like the image you provided. A small pink / red portion of the white that is located to the left of the eyeball.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. You mean to say that the entire white part of the eye is not red but only one part of it is red ( to the left of the eyeball)?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is no associated pain or watering or cloudy vision, it points towards a possibility of a tiny subconjunctival hemorrhage ( due to rupture of a tiny blood vessel in the white part of the eye) .

Customer:

Do I do anything? Or, does it just eventually go away? Or, will it get worse?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. It is self healing and will disappear within a week or two . In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision , watering, discharge from the eyes , do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since how long have you been using Lumigan eye drops? Was this redness noticed within few weeks of starting the eyedrops?

Customer:

I have been on Lumigan eye drops for approximately 1 year. I have never noticed any redness prior to last Saturday. I did fall off of a bike a day before I noticed the redness in my right eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in that case the redness is most likely to be due to a tiny sub-conjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Nothing to be worried about. It looks more serious than it actually is. It will disappear naturally over a week or two.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day so as to soothen your eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Continue with the Lumigan eye drops as prescribed.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Avoid using contact lens till redness disappears.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

This page will get saved automatically and you can take a print of the same anytime you need to.

Kind regards