Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have black dots and black lines in my left eye. What should

I have black dots and black lines in my left eye. What should I do or what kind of doctor should I call. I have had the dots and lines for five days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the vision in the left eye blurred?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you short sighted/ wear glasses/contact lenses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any history of diabetes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the answers to the above is "No" , then it is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In PVD the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You seem to have gone offline at the moment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I will switch over to Q&A mode so that you can view the reply once you are online.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Oh Hi ! Looks like you have just entered the chat.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please go through the above and reply in case you have any more queries to ask.

Customer:

I am available to chat. My vision is not blurred.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sorry but I think you just gave me a negative rating.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

May I ask you what prompted you to do so? Was the answer not satisfactory? Have you gone through the entire answer on PVD?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

I AM NOT Familiar with this system. I did not intend to give you a negative rating. I was responding to your question. I do not have blurred vision. I wear glasses for reading only.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. No problem. You can always change the rating once we are done with the chat.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I will send my explanation again-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that make sense?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any thing else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

Yes, it does make sense. I will make an appointment to see an eye doctor. Thank you for your answer. I will change my rating to excellent service.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

Hello Les,

Unfortunately the system does not permit email responses outside of JA. However the good news is that this page can be saved and a print can be taken anytime for your referral.

Kind regards