Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have some questions about laser eye surgery. Please answer

Customer Question

I have some questions about laser eye surgery. Please answer each question as I have an unlimited subscription.

I have done a lot of research but for a few questions I just can't seem to find definitive answers. I have never needed glasses or contacts but recently it has become obvious that I need some form of correction. Firstly, nearly every resource I have seen states that you need to have stable vision for at least one year to be eligible.

Does this mean that you are required to have been already wearing a stable prescription of glasses or contacts for a year before you can have surgery?

OR can you have the surgery done even if you have never worn glasses or contacts but still have a measurable refractive error?

If you can have it done without having had a prescription does there need to be official documentation from a doctor that your vision has been stable without glasses or contacts for a year, or for some other period of time?

If you can have it done without having had a prescription before what is the process you need to go through to become eligible for the surgery?

I am also concerned about the differences between LASIK and PRK. From my understanding the main difference is that LASIK cuts a permanent flap into the deeper layer of the cornea that only heals partially around the flap, while PRK only temporarily removes the outer layer and it heals back completely. The other difference being the PRK takes longer to recover from.

Are there other differences I should be made aware of, and which would you recommend as being most likely to successfully improve my vision to 20/20 or better? My vision presently is somewhere between 20/30 and 20/40.

My concerns are mainly about the flap. How well does it heal back onto the cornea? How much force would it take to dislocate or weaken the flap? If the flap is dislocated or weakened what is the percent chance that it can be fully repaired?

Will a blow to the eye such as being punched or hit with a basketball cause the flap to become weakened or dislocated. How about falling hard on your face while skiing?

Will chronic eye rubbing cause the flap to become weakened or dislocated? I have a habit of rubbing my eyes to remove the crusty buildup around my eye lids.

Also I have a habit of rolling over onto one or the other side of my face while sleeping and often wake up with quite a bit of pressure on one or the other eye. Will this, especially if done repeatedly over time, cause the flap to become dislocated or weakened?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please leave my question open to experts.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Since the professionals log in at different times, it is very difficult to predict when one will come on with your particular area of expertise. You will receive an email when one of our professionals has answered you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Camille

I'm sorry to say we have exhausted all our efforts at this time to find the right professional to assist you with your question.

While we were not able to assist you with this question, please keep in mind that JustAnswer has multiple categories, from Cars, Medical, Law, and Computer to Home Improvement, to assist you with any question you may need answered.

Best,

Camille