Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I was punched towards the upper right side of my left eye.

Customer Question

I was punched towards the upper right side of my left eye. It left a large lump need my eye socket. Should I try and drain the blood out
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The large lump is most likely to be a hematoma which is accumalation of blood due to rupture of tiny blood vessls beneath the skin. It is better not do any self treatment as it gets absorbed naturally within 2-3 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The lump is likely to change color from dark red to black to green before it disappears.

Customer : Yes I'm available to chat
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Only if the hematoma persists beyond 3 weeks does it require a surgical drainage by a surgeon.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I hope you have read my previous replies.....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any other eye symptoms- change in vision/double vision/red eye/tenderness of orbit ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Kindly do not rate the expert with negative rating if you do not wish to continue.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It reflects negatively on my overall rating.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you are not satisfied with the answer you can continue with the Q&A or give a chance to opt out but please do not rate this as "Bad service". You can always withdraw the rating or change it. Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can atleast clarify about which part of the answer was bad or what exactly are you looking for in the answer?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I have given you the most frank answer that a hematoma should not be self drained as it carries a high risk of infection which could spread inwards. Cold compresses should help until the hematoma resolves naturally.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service again ( you can revert the rating if you wish).

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Paul,

I am still available here in case you decide to revert the rating and want to ask any follow up question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for giving you a poor rating, I'm very poor at the time. And can't really afford the price
Paul,

I understand your plight . In that case do change the rating so that I do not end up with a poor average. You could have asked the question for a lesser price too which would have been within your range.Probably you still have the option of doing so.