Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I was punched towards the upper right side of my left eye.

Customer Question

I was punched towards the upper right side of my left eye. It left a large lump need my eye socket. Should I try and drain the blood out
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The large lump is most likely to be a hematoma which is accumalation of blood due to rupture of tiny blood vessls beneath the skin. It is better not do any self treatment as it gets absorbed naturally within 2-3 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The lump is likely to change color from dark red to black to green before it disappears.

JACUSTOMER-o23ilnji- : Yes I'm available to chat
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Only if the hematoma persists beyond 3 weeks does it require a surgical drainage by a surgeon.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I hope you have read my previous replies.....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any other eye symptoms- change in vision/double vision/red eye/tenderness of orbit ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Kindly do not rate the expert with negative rating if you do not wish to continue.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It reflects negatively on my overall rating.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you are not satisfied with the answer you can continue with the Q&A or give a chance to opt out but please do not rate this as "Bad service". You can always withdraw the rating or change it. Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can atleast clarify about which part of the answer was bad or what exactly are you looking for in the answer?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I have given you the most frank answer that a hematoma should not be self drained as it carries a high risk of infection which could spread inwards. Cold compresses should help until the hematoma resolves naturally.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service again ( you can revert the rating if you wish).

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Paul,

I am still available here in case you decide to revert the rating and want to ask any follow up question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I apologize for giving you a poor rating, I'm very poor at the time. And can't really afford the price
Paul,

I understand your plight . In that case do change the rating so that I do not end up with a poor average. You could have asked the question for a lesser price too which would have been within your range.Probably you still have the option of doing so.