Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I received PRK corrective laser eye surgery when I was in the

I received PRK corrective laser eye surgery when I was in the Army. My eyes have been constantly dry ever since and I have been prescribed Restasis to be used daily as well as over the counter Refresh drops.

I am 27 years old, and received the PRK when I was 23. Is it normal to suffer from permanent dry eyes after corrective laser eye treatment? Have there been long term complications with the use of Restasis? Thank you.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Yes, dry eyes is known to occur following laser surgery. Though it subsides wihin few months to an year in , ost individuals, it can persist longer in few. Restasis is known to increase tear production and refresh tears is a tear supplement. A combination of these should help in improving your dry eyes symptoms. Like any other medicine Restasis is also known to have ocular side effects such as severe stinging, burning, redness. Sometimes these effects are so severe that patients stop using them.I guess you can decide based on any side effects of it which you might have experienced. For very severe persistent dry eyes, punctal occlusion is an option which you can discuss wih your eye surgeon.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist