Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have a stye that is infected. Went to the eye doctor and

Customer Question

i have a stye that is infected. Went to the eye doctor and prescribed me oral amoxicillin every 6 hours and erythromycin ointment. It is getting worse. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name is Dr Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you were seen by an regular eye doctor and not an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

I saw an opthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

Hmmmmm....a eye doctor that does cataract surgery etc?

Dr. Rick :

In any event, can you upload a picture of your stye?

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

not sure if he does surgery but i know he is an M.D.

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

yes give me a moment

Dr. Rick :

I only ask because the treatment you are on is not correct for a stye.

Dr. Rick :

You can use the paperclip on your screen.

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Also, how long ago were you started on the amoxicillin and ointment?

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

yesterday morning, but keeps getting worse

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

?

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

are you here

Dr. Rick :

The internet seems to be cycling off and on at the moment.......not sure why. We are in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm on my end right now....perhaps that is it.

Dr. Rick :

But I am still here...

JACUSTOMER-14hi23vk- :

I know you are having a bad connection but my question was not answered

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
something is wrong with my internet connection. I got your picture though...let me take a look. Be right back (hopefully :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Melissa,

Thanks for the picture. The reason it is not getting better is because you are not on the right treatment.

At this point, it will not hurt to continue the amoxicillin until they are all gone.

Stop the erythromycin ointment. All that is doing is blurring your vision and gooping up your eye....

Start this home therapy:

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the internet today. I think it is do to the huge thunderstorm outside my window right now :(
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. The worst of the storm is passed and I seem to be back online....do you have any other questions?