Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my eyesight is poor from diabetes and i had my eyes examined

my eyesight is poor from diabetes and i had my eyes examned and the MD wrote the wrong prescription 2x and i have to see another one next week....i want to write a formal complaint against the first one who keeps telling me that my vision is changing due to the diabetes and I just have to wait for my eyes to clear when my blood sugars stabilize. In the meantime I have to work and I can't read a computer screen or pieces of paper and I keep getting blown off> Any suggestions or information that you could give me?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is the doctor who is telling you that your vision changes are from diabetes an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) or an optometrist?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

optomotrist

Customer:

but he advertises himself as an eye MD

Customer:

he wrote the prescription wrong 2x and wants to examine my eyes again but i am like no way

Dr. Rick :

It is illegal for an optometrist to call himself an eye MD.....just FYI

Customer:

i believe it...

Customer:

i have another appointment with another eye MD on this monday

Customer:

the first and oters are not taking my issue very seriously and they keep blowing me off like it is nothing..

Customer:

i am a registered nurse and can't do my job right without proper eye glasses

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist I believe it is time for you to dump this "doctor" and consult with an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon). If diabetes is damaging your vision, then it needs to be evaluated and correctly treated.

Customer:

i am doing that now and i called my in surance company already to let them know what is going on....very frustrating

Dr. Rick :

You can write a formal complaint online at the Board of Optometry as well as the State Licensing Board that issued the persons license to practice.

Dr. Rick :

What type of vision problems are you having? How old are you?

Customer:

i think i will do that but i have to get a refund on my pe prescription first

Customer:

i am 45 yrs old and just got out of the hospital with newly diagnosed diabetes adn my eyesight is blurry when i read my mail or anything up close like a computer screen...i am a registered nurse and can't do my job without a magnifying glass and 3.25 readin glasses...i just want the right prescription fo rmy eyes

Dr. Rick :

3.25 readers are a bit strong. Did you try 1.75?

Customer:

he initially prescribed 2/75 but they worked for a short time like one day and i had to go to 3.25 adn now i need a magnifying glass with the glasses

Dr. Rick :

As you know, recently dx'd with diabetes means you need a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist.....optometrists wouldn't know early diabetic retinopathy if it reached out and bit them.

Customer:

that is why i am gpiong to someon else on monday

Dr. Rick :

Is your distance vision blurry without glasses?

Customer:

yes a little..

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I think you will be OK once you get in the hand of a competent ophthalmologist.

Customer:

i can't do my job without correct glasses and my vision is blurry all around

Dr. Rick :

You need a good refraction looking for any "hidden" plus and also a complete retina exam to rule out any swelling....which I do not, from what you have told me, have.....

Customer:

should i complain about that first optomerotrist?

Dr. Rick :

That is up to you. If he is calling himself an eye MD that is wrong and he should be made to stop.

Customer:

and he got my prescription wrong 2x

Customer:

everyone keeps saying that my eyesight will correct itself once my blood sugars stabilize but i still need proper glasses to do my job and they don't get that

Dr. Rick :

If you blood sugar has been over 600 ish (very high) for a while, then yes, your lens may have swollen and, over a month or so of normal sugars, it will return to normal...

Dr. Rick :

That being said usually this type of issue causes you to need more minus, not plus, powered glasses....

Customer:

right so i wait and hope the next man can fix the problem

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a great plan :)

Customer:

ok thanks....for the information

Dr. Rick :

I hope you are now, at least, a bit less freaked out and can enjoy the fireworks tonight :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

ok thanks...

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest