Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Do I need to go to an emergency Room? I have a strange bump

Customer Question

Do I need to go to an emergency Room? I have a strange bump on my eye. I would like to send a picture of the bump. All I want to know is if this is something I need to go to the emergency room or can I wait and just see an ophthalmologist on Friday? It does not effect my vision and it does not hurt.

How can I send a picture?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Sure. Go ahead and attach a well lit close up picture of it. How long gas it been there?
Customer:

Okay uploading. One minute please.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Let me know if this was not clear enough.

Customer:

It just occurred. I did not notice it, my daughter had pointed it out to me.

Customer:

Did you get the picture?

Doctor DanB : Yes, I finally did get it. Sorry for the delay. The site was slow showing it to me. I'll type my response while you read this.
Customer:

Okay. Thanks. Take your time. I appreciate your help.

Doctor DanB : This looks like it could either be a cyst of the conjunctiva, an inflamed pingueculum or an inflammation of the episclera. However, usually none of these are serious, nor do I think you need to go to the ER for this. I think it's fine if you go in on Friday to see your eye doctor. But in the meantime...
Doctor DanB : if it does start to bother you, I would recommend using cool compresses liberally and artificial tears 4-5x/day until then. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Yes.

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Would you need any more pictures from a different angle? Or is this clearly like the other eyes you have seen in the past?

Doctor DanB : Oh no. This is a very good picture and short of being able to examine it myself, this is as good as could be done to represent it. I think neither of these is an emergency.
Customer:

Okay. Thanks and have a great 4th of July. I really appreciate your advice.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology