Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My wife has a 2 mm raised yellow growth on the tarsal conjunctival

My wife has a 2 mm raised yellow growth on the tarsal conjunctival surface of her left lower eyelid. It is completely asymptomatic and discovered accidently. We don't know how long it has been there. She is caucasian, healthy, has normal cholesterol and no eye or skin conditions. No recent history of eye irritation or infection.

thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the lesion seen on the inner surface of the lower eyelid? Or is it seen between the inner corner of the eye and the colored part?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does it look similar to this?

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

Hi Doc, I am a general surgeon. The lesion is on the inner surface of the lower lid. It is discreet and definitely raised

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

It looks like the image but is more discreet and circumscribed.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Can you please upload an image of the same?

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

I currently don't have an image. I can upload one in a few hours.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. It would help to see the image.

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

How would I do that later today?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Save image on your desktop, click on the paperclip logo as seen on this chat box and send the saved desktop image.

, click on this

Image URL

Image Description
Alignment
Dimensionsx
Border
Vertical Space
Horizontal Space

You will get this page, go to image URL

click on the tiny square which reads browse

Image Upload

Image:

click on browse once again

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

OK. What is the lesion on the image you showed me?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This is how I sent you the image earlier.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The image is that of a pinguecula.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a kind of degeneration of the conjunctiva and is benign in nature.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

however it is typically seen at the same site- just between the inner corner of the eye and the cornea.

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

I don't think that is what she has. As stated in the question, the lesion is on the tarsal conjuctival surface of the lower lid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Lowerlid is definitely not the site for a pinguecula. So I guess she does not have a pinguecula for sure.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Common raised lesions on the lower lid ( inner surface) are follicles and papillae ( both being multiple and seldom single).

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

I agree (base on my research). Should I "save & exit" so we can continue when I have uploaded a picture?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Concretions can occur at this site.

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

yes on concretions but the lesion looks more soft and fleshy

Dr. A.S. Desai :

We can switch to Q&A so that we can continue later too. Instead of live chat we would have to exchange short text messages. I guess it is alright to save and exit in case you want to continue with live chat.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does the lesion appear fluid filled?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2234/2209564556_9acf7e8a1b.jpg

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

no, it does not appear fluid filled or cystic. It is just a discreet, solid yellow mass

Dr. A.S. Desai :

the above link shows a concretion in the lower lid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you get to see it?

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

yes. it does look like the concretion picture you sent, maybe a little bigger. How could we confirm the diagnosis of concretion?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is usually gritty to feel( very firm).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though it might feel a bit soft if it is covered by a layer of conjunctiva.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Concretions can vary in size and can be larger or smaller than the one in the image.

JACUSTOMER-xnbnfedo- :

I have not palpated yet but will later. It just does not look like it will feel gritty. I have to go but will save and exit and can we continue after I have a picturez/

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, we can do so.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I will reply to the same after another 8-9 hours ( it is night in this part of the world ..... :) )

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello again,

Dr. A.S. Desai :

was looking forward to seeing the image you would send or even hear from you again........

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I hope you get the time to do so.....till then ...take care and happy 4th July...

Customer:

yellow eyelid growth
Full Size Image

Customer:

the picture might not show it well but the growth is definitely yellow. it feels soft. it is asymptomatic. thanks for your response.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The picture is good enough to visualise the lesion. Since it is soft, it looks more like a block ed meibimian duct with pent up secretions.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A few simple measures would help to drain the blocked duct.....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Many appropriate systems of eyelid hygiene exist, and all include variations of 3 essential steps. First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided. •Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful. •Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist