Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I got an unknown chemical in my eye, and I am not sure what

I got an unknown chemical in my eye, and I am not sure what to do. I was cleaning out lots of old bottles from my bathroom closet, and I touched my right eye. It immediately burned like fire. I took out the contact and irrigated it for 15-20 minutes. It still burns, but down to a 2 from a 10 on the 0-10 eye burning (pain) scale. Of course, the eye is very red, and I notice the white of the eye is swollen...like there is clear fluid beneath the membraneof the white of the eye. Is there any harm in waiting it out overnight, in hopes that it will be better? As far as vision goes, it is hard to tell since I have my contacts out. I think my vision is only a little worse. Thanks.b

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. There is no harm in waiting until tomorrow. I would recommend doing another flush with water if you havent already done so. I would also recommend using artificial tears 4 to 5 times per day. I think the clear membrane you are seeing is the swelling of the conjunctiva. This is a response to the inflammation. Cool compresses and artificial tears will help this to resolve in a few days. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: I appreciate your response. How long should I irrigate? Are there any signs to watch for that would indicate that I need to seek care?
Doctor DanB : I would irrigate for 10-15 minutes and if the redness, swelling, discomfort/pain or vision get noticeably worse despite the cool compresses and tears then I would see your ophthalmologist. Make sense?
Customer: Thanks.
Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.