Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I had cataract surgery over 30 years ago and they would not

I had cataract surgery over 30 years ago and they would not put an implant in back then~ as I was too young~ they were new also at the time~I thus have to wear a contact and since my change of Doctors and Province~ this new Ptomitrist cannot seem to fit me properly~she ordered many different ones and they feel uncomfortable and she said mine is no longer available~does anyone know what one is best for this type of thing~Martha~ PS My original prescription was a 14.5 + 13 and 8:30 steep~ it was used and cleaned everyday~ the company was Dura soft and my Optomitrist says she cannot get that one anymore~ she got a few in and yet the numbers are not all the same as my original~ she fitted me with a 8.6 and a 14.2 + 10 and said it was a perfect fit and my vision was good~I did not find it comfortable however~ she ordered a few more and I got them today~ one seems a bit better with a 13 instead of a 10 and yet I am still not completely comfortable~ she also ordered two Silsoft which were closer to my original numbers~ but they are too transparent and you can hardly see them and they did not feel right at all~nor could I see well~ I cannot have the surgery now the Specialist says~ for some unknown reason to me~ she said it would be too risky~I have high eye pressure besides~
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I don't know where the other eye doctors are today.....since you have been waiting patiently for so long, I would be happy to discuss this issue further with you.

Let me know,

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I remember your saying that you did not know much about contacts~I thus asked for someone else~I don't know why the first contact she got in fit ~ as she said perfectly~ plus I could see well with it~it started to feel uncomfortable after a while~ she put one in my right eye for distance that day too~I did not even feel it in the eye~in fact I could not get it out~I had to go to out patients and even the Doctor could not see that one and froze the eye and put yellow drops in~ he then took it out and I don't dare try practicing with it again~for now anyway~:-) although it was so nice to see distance so well without glasses~I have 20- 20 vision in that eye up close~ even at my old age~does those numbers mean much~ as the ones she gets in are not exactly as my old prescription a way back ~in fact probably over five years ago now~she seems smart enough and my glasses work well for distance~ maybe a contact for my problem is not supposed to feel real comfortable like the normal kind????~I keep putting in that old one and it is far past its time~ when she is ordering I don't know why she does not order the numbers from my old bottle~I hope that you read them on my previous message when I tried to get a contact specialist~on the Internet it seems the Silsoft is a recommended one and yet the two she got in are not comfortable and you can hardly see them~I like a bit of a tint~the other brand she got is Proclear by Cooper Vision~I have that one in now~ reading 8.6 14.2 +10~this is the one she said was perfect~maybe I just have to give them a chance~but I am feeling discouraged~in N.B. the optometrist just ordered one and that was it~I just hope she is ordering a kind for my type of problem~or maybe there is no difference~ one of the new ones by Proclear is the same reading as I have in only a 13+ instead of a 10+~if you can figure all this out you are sure worth more than one dollar~ as your mother has it~:-) I know of some women a way back~ who did not want the implant and took contacts instead and also wore glasses~ why would that be~ as this Doctor has just a clear glass on the left side of my glasses~Thanks for always being here for me~Martha~ Would the 13 + give me better vision than the 10+~also off the subject~ do you think my red eyes will go a way in time~it is a nuisance~ yet my vision is more important~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

No problem.

The contact should feel comfortable...if it doesn't it is not a good fit....

As far as the different number on the Proclear may be due to the type of material it is made out of, but in my mind I don't think there should be that much of a difference....if the +13 is the "correct" Rx then you should have the same good vision as with the +10; if not it is the incorrect Rx....

Redness could be do to many things. If it is due to a pinguecula, for instance, it will not go away...but no big deal if it doesn't bother you.

Have a good day. :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dr. Rick~ I am a layman when it comes to eyes~I was a Banker~ so an RX means nothing to me~I maybe should persist with the one~ the 10~ as she said it was a perfect fit and the vision was good~she would know I would think~so all those numbers on the bottles really do not mean much I take it~maybe it just takes getting used to~or dryness~my son picked up the four yesterday and I found them no better~funny they let them go without me there to try them on~I have to admit even my old one bothered me at times and others it did not~when your eyes do not feel well then you don't~it is a different lens from normal ones ~ as the prescription is much higher??Thanks for always being there~Martha~PS I looked up pinguecula and my redness is right under the eyes~not as this disorder was explained~ it even had a video~