Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

PLEASE DO NOT LOCK. Expert has not responded yet and I want

PLEASE DO NOT LOCK.
Expert has not responded yet and I want to open the question to other eye experts.

I have some questions about getting contact lenses. It seems that I might have astigmatism which might complicate the process some. I see a slight blur at every distance, rather than only a blur near or far.

Can you please describe the process one has to go through to get a contact lens prescription, and how to test out the best possible brands/types?

When you get a prescription for contacts, is there really only one specific brand and model that can be on the prescription, and you can only buy exactly that type and brand?

If so, then how can you try out enough types to find those that are best for you considering the many variables - soft/hard, best comfort, best vision, ability to stay in position, duration of use, etc.

Does every eye doctor have samples of every single currently available brand and type to try out on the office?

How do you test out different brands to make sure they still in place during demanding physical activities, especially running?

It just seems ridiculous as expensive as contacts are that you would only be allowed to wear a specific brand and type, and then to try a new one then have to again pay for an expensive appointment to get the prescription changed. Is there another way?

Also can you get a prescription for only one eye? Because my non-dominant eye is considerably more clear and probably does not even need correction.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Let me go over your issues in order:
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Let me go through your questions in order:

1. After a complete eye exam and refraction a contact lens brand/style is selected from stock that should fit the anatomy of your eye well and correct your refractive error. A sample lens of this type is placed on your eye and, using the slit lamp and sometimes special stains the fit of the contact is evaluated. If it looks good, you are usually given the free lens to try. If it works after a week or so a Rx or supply of that lens is dispensed.

2. Your eye doctor has training to select the lens, or a few lens types, that will work best for you. This way you do not need to try every lens on the market :)

3. No. It would be impossible to stock that many lenses. Every eye doctor carries a cross section of lens types so as to be able to fit the vast majority of patients. If a different lens is needed, every type made is available with a simple phone call.

4. Not sure what you mean by this. Your contact, no matter what the brand, should easily stay in place during activities like running. No special testing/fitting is needed.

5. Since the fit of every lens is different and a poor fit can cause serious eye problems like a corneal ulcer (which may cause blindness) every Rx has to be specific for the lens that was fit to your eye in the office.

6. Yes. This is very common and is called monovision.

Whew! That was a lot of questions all rolled up into one thread :)

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest