Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I need a Doctor who is familiar with replacing an aphakia eye

I need a Doctor who is familiar with replacing an aphakia eye with a contact lens~ Dr, Rick is a Retina Specialist or I would ask him Martha
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I'm not sure where the other eye doctors are on this thread.....I see you have been waiting quite some time for an answer.

Would you like to wait a bit longer or, if you want, I do know some about contacts in aphakia....let me know what you would like to do.

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like you to help me ~I am getting quite discouraged with the Lens that I am getting~Martha

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Again Dr. Rick~I think that you said that perhaps you could help me~ I would love it if you could~I just thought this was not your field~contact lens that is~you are too important for this in my opinion~ but since no one else answered me I would sure appreciate any help that you could give me~ since you were kind enough to offer~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know and I'll be happy to see if I can help :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I am back again~I guess that you cannot get rid of me :-)~anyway my sister drove 5 hours to see the Retina Specialist and had tests done~only to be told that he could not do any treatment until he sees if her Insurance will cover it and only he can decide on what treatment to give~ the machine was worth $300,000.00 and the treatment $2000.00~ it seems to me one would need it regardless if your Insurance covered or not and now she has to wait once again and go back also once again~ does this make sense~she had hoped everything would be handled in one trip~and it would be over and done with~ they had stacks of papers on the Secretaries desk waiting for the same answer~ rather discouraging and wonder if this is also how you handle your Practice~she felt this could have been approved before she got there~but as he says only he could know what was needed and what type once he saw her~there thus must be many different ones~in other words not everyone requires the same laser??? Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

There is no instrument in my practice, or that I use as a retina surgeon, that is worth $300K. There are, however, many treatments that cost $2,000.

It is correct that not everyone requires the same sort of laser treatment but, in my practice, insurance coverage is usually figured our prior to the patient coming to the office, or is obtained with a phone call and fax while the patient hangs around for a bit....

Very strange.

Did the retina doc say exactly what condition your sister had and what treatment he is recommending?

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Their magnetic resonating machine costs over $300,000 (surprisingly donated by the Masonic Lodge - nice to hear they do more than chant stupid oaths and rattle chains - hehe). Anyway, the technician was so pleased about the dozens of sharp, clear images she got to give to the doctor. Then an intern went over all my history again and looked at my eye from different angles.

Finally Dr, Cruess came in and I thought I was almost home free. He informed me that he now needs to get pre-authorization from my Health Plan for the very expensive drug used for the laser treatment ($2000). I asked why my eye doctor in Fredericton could not have got that pre-approved before I came, but he said only he can study the detailed images that I just had done in order to make the exact diagnosis. In other words, there are several different drugs for specific conditions. They only acccept his word as to which one is suited.

I probably had that "donkey face" as I said, "Can't you fax my Health Company right now and see if they can give approval over the phone ?" He said it's an "exception medication" and he has to fill out additional forms and the process can take awhile. The receptionist showed me a stack of files on her desk of patients waiting for authorization from their health providers before being able to get laser. Dr. Cruess didn't seem very sympathetic to my discouragement about having to wait for the proper paperwork then make another long trip to Halifax.Hi Dr. Rick~I agree that this sounded very strange to me too and wondered what you felt~I pasted her words above~the whole paragraph and some you cannot see~ does it make any sense to you~ I hope that you are NOT a Mason~ although my father was :-)`Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

OK....yup. An MRI can cost that much and more ;)

Sounds like he is planning on doing PDT therapy. I have one of those lasers and IV machines in my closet. I used to use PDT a lot before avastin was available and it is still a good therapy now and again....and that is why I still keep it in my closet. It is also good for hanging my lab jackets on lol!

Nope, I'm not a mason :)

Let me know how things turn out.

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is PDT therapy~I read that avastin is for macular degeneration and Linda has polypoidal~ anyway it does seem strange that after her driving so far he could not treat her then~something to hang your Lab Coats on does not sound like you put too much importance on it~:-) maybe here in Canada we are behind times~ where are you located Dr. Rick~ being an Army Brat I guess it could be any place~it seems to me like the avastin road is the way to go from your point of view~ although I will not tell Linda~the story just seemed strange~ Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It is photodynamic therapy (PDT)

A drug, called Visudyne, is slowly put in a vein and then, after a bit, a special "cold" laser is shined into her eye. This laser "turns on" the drug and, hopefully, closes up the blood vessels.

I've used it in polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy with mixed results over the last few decades.

Here is a good article on this therapy (don't worry that it talks about wet macular degeneration):

http://www.neec.com/Pages/Services/Vitreoretinal/PDT.php

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest